PRAIRIE VILLAGE, KS (KCTV) -- A Kansas City man has been charged with fleeing and assault of a law enforcement officer. 

Jaye Mathis, 27, was charged with second-degree assault, armed criminal action and resisting a lawful stop. 



Authorities say two men have been arrested after a police chase late Monday morning.

The chase started just before 11:30 a.m. when an officer stopped a stolen vehicle near 111th Street and Grandview Road.

When the officer stepped out of their vehicle, the man driving the car accelerated toward the officer. The officer jumped out of the way but the suspect vehicle did hit a patrol car.

“The vehicle initially pulled over, but as the officers were walking up, the driver took off. He tried to get out of there, fled, actually struck one of the officers that was on foot and knocked him into a gas pump," Capt. Ryan Mills said with the Kansas City, MO Police Department.

Speeds reached as high as 80 miles per hour as the driver made his way into Kansas.

The pursuit entered the city limits of Prairie Village westbound from 75th Street and State Line Road.

Officers say they dumped a gun and drugs out of the vehicle during the chase.

A short time later the suspect vehicle was involved in a single-vehicle wreck at the intersection of 75th Street and Roe Avenue.

Two male suspects exited the vehicle and foot pursuits ensued with officers from Prairie Village and Kansas City agencies. Both suspects were taken into custody a short time later.

Kansas City police have a strict policy about when they’re allowed to pursue. And, since an officer was struck with a car, it was certainly within the limits, but it’s never something they take lightly.

“We did our best to keep up with him as safely as we could. And, we had a hard time for a while, just because pursuits are dangerous, and we're not going to make it any more dangerous then we need to. There was a while where he got away from us, but they were able to keep them in sight," Mills said.

The police officer who was hit by the car is expected to be OK but was taken to the hospital to be checked out.

Both suspects were transported to the Johnson County Adult Detention Center.

Copyright 2018 KCTV (Meredith Corp.) All rights reserved.

Digital Content Manager


Recommended for you

(0) comments

Welcome to the discussion.

Keep it Clean. Please avoid obscene, vulgar, lewd, racist or sexually-oriented language.
Don't Threaten. Threats of harming another person will not be tolerated.
Be Truthful. Don't knowingly lie about anyone or anything.
Be Nice. No racism, sexism or any sort of -ism that is degrading to another person.
Be Proactive. Use the 'Report' link on each comment to let us know of abusive posts.
Share with Us. We'd love to hear eyewitness accounts, the history behind an article.