Man accused of raping, killing 12-year-old girl


Adriaunna Horton's family is planning her funeral rather than helping with homework. A coroner confirmed Thursday that she had been killed.

Prosecutors are considering the death penalty against Bobby D. Bourne who is accused of kidnapping, raping and killing 12-year-old Adriaunna this week.

Her body was found Wednesday afternoon in a rural area outside of Golden City.

Barton County Prosecutor Steven Kaderly filed new charges against the 34-year-old man. Bourne previously had been accused of kidnapping the child.

Now Bourne faces first-degree murder and two counts of rape in addition to the kidnapping charge. Bourne will be arraigned at 2 p.m. Monday.

During a news conference Friday afternoon, Kaderly indicated he would carefully review the case and determine whether to seek the death penalty. He said he planned to make his decision quickly.

Kaderly said Attorney General Chris Koster's office will assist in the prosecution. That typically occurs in possible death penalty cases.

Bourne worked with Adriaunna's father and his own daughter was friends with the girl. Adriaunna's father, James Horton, has said he believes Bourne lured his daughter into the vehicle by asking for her help, by claiming his daughter was missing.

Bourne is being held on a $1 million bond. Because of security concerns, Bourne has been transferred from the Barton County jail to the larger and more secure Jasper County jail.

Late Thursday night, the Missouri Highway Patrol confirmed that Adriaunna's body had been found in Dade County near the Barton County line. Law enforcement officers found the body Wednesday afternoon and DNA tests were done on Thursday along with an autopsy.

Kaderly and other law enforcement officials have refused to say how Adriaunna was killed or what was found at the crime scene. The charges include forcible rape and statutory rape.

Adriaunna was reported missing on Monday evening. She was last seen getting into a vehicle near Hazel Park in Golden City. Bourne was taken into custody 90 minutes after Adriaunna was last seen.

She would have started sixth grade this week. Her mother, Wendi Jackson, lives in Overland Park.

Both Jackson and Horton had pleaded for the return of their daughter this week and had broken down in tears.

According to court records, Bourne has a violent past.

Copyright 2013 KCTV (Meredith Corp.) All rights reserved.


Recommended for you

(0) comments

Welcome to the discussion.

Keep it Clean. Please avoid obscene, vulgar, lewd, racist or sexually-oriented language.
Don't Threaten. Threats of harming another person will not be tolerated.
Be Truthful. Don't knowingly lie about anyone or anything.
Be Nice. No racism, sexism or any sort of -ism that is degrading to another person.
Be Proactive. Use the 'Report' link on each comment to let us know of abusive posts.
Share with Us. We'd love to hear eyewitness accounts, the history behind an article.