OVERLAND PARK, KS (KCTV) – Officials say the body of an Overland Park woman who had been last seen Monday has been found in Arkansas.

Overland Park Police Chief Frank R. Donchez Jr. said the body of Sylvia Ann Pearson was found in Benton County, Arkansas.

Family of Pearson reported her missing late Monday after learning she left her Overland Park home with Charles Pearson, who was married to Sylvia though the couple had recently separated.

The Overland Park Police Department said they made contact with Charles Pearson Monday evening. Charles agreed to respond to the Overland Park Police Department for an interview. Charles was cooperative during the interview and also advised he did not know where his wife was.

Charles gave consent to search his vehicle and his residence located in Lenexa that Monday evening.

KCTV5 News asked Overland Park police why they released Charles and they said it’s because they did not have enough evidence to hold him in custody.

Tuesday morning, Charles reached out to friends and advised that he was suicidal, and he had harmed his wife.

Later on Tuesday morning, Charles told staff at a Johnson County hotel that he had killed his wife and was heading toward the Legends area, where he later died in a shootout with police.

Investigators had been searching areas in Cass County Tuesday based on the last known activity from Sylvia Pearson’s cell phone.

Donchez said that a search of the home of Charles in Lenexa late Tuesday uncovered a note that indicated the location of Sylvia Pearson’s body, which was then discovered by local authorities in Arkansas.

“Which detailed where Mrs. Pearson’s body might be found. At that point, with the help of the FBI contacting the Benton County Arkansas Sheriff’s department, they conducted a search in that area last evening and in that area discovered the body of Mrs. Person,” Donchez said.

According to one of Sylvia's friends, both Sylvia and Charles lived in Arkansas before moving to Kansas.

KCTV5 News has also learned that one of Sylvia’s sons, 23-year-old Cameron Hooks, was actually murdered in a shooting in Lawrence back in 2017.

According to his obituary, Hooks had moved to Kansas from the East Coast to be closer to his mom and got a job at Amazon to better himself.

Two men have since been sentenced to prison for shooting and killing Hooks. Sylvia testified at that sentencing.

Police do say they’re not looking for any additional suspects in Sylvia’s death.

KCTV5.com is now with you on the go! Get the latest news updates and video, StormTrack5 weather forecast, weather radar, special investigative reports, sports headlines and much more from KCTV5 News. 

>> Click/tap here to download our free mobile app. <<

Copyright 2019 KCTV (Meredith Corp.) All rights reserved.

Recommended for you

(0) comments

Welcome to the discussion.

Keep it Clean. Please avoid obscene, vulgar, lewd, racist or sexually-oriented language.
Don't Threaten. Threats of harming another person will not be tolerated.
Be Truthful. Don't knowingly lie about anyone or anything.
Be Nice. No racism, sexism or any sort of -ism that is degrading to another person.
Be Proactive. Use the 'Report' link on each comment to let us know of abusive posts.
Share with Us. We'd love to hear eyewitness accounts, the history behind an article.