JEFFERSON CITY, MO (KCTV) — Missouri voters wanted it, but on Thursday, Governor Mike Parson dropped plans to expand Medicaid. 

The governor has withdrawn the Medicaid plan that had been submitted to federal officials. He said he withdrew the plant because state lawmakers did not approve funding for the expansion. 

“Since the ballot initiative was not self-funding and the General Assembly declined to appropriate funds, the executive branch lacks authority to proceed with MO HealthNet expansion at this time,” said Parson. 

The expansion was to have taken effect July 1. It would have provided Medicaid coverage to 250.00-300,000 Missourians. The federal government would have picked up 90% of the cost for those who qualified and the state would pay the remaining 10%. But lawmakers didn’t budget that 10%. 

“The voters did the work to make it happen,” said Kansas City Mayor Quinton Lucas. “I think Governor Parson needs to actually find other budget approaches to make it happen if the legislature will not do its job.” 

Today’s action does not end the Medicaid debate in Missouri. Supporters will likely file suit challenging the actions of the legislature and governor.

KCTV5.com is now with you on the go! Get the latest news updates and video, StormTrack5 weather forecast, weather radar, special investigative reports, sports headlines and much more from KCTV5 News. 

>> Click/tap here to download our free mobile app. <<


Copyright 2021 KCTV (Meredith Corp.) All rights reserved.

Locations

Recommended for you

(0) comments

Welcome to the discussion.

Keep it Clean. Please avoid obscene, vulgar, lewd, racist or sexually-oriented language.
PLEASE TURN OFF YOUR CAPS LOCK.
Don't Threaten. Threats of harming another person will not be tolerated.
Be Truthful. Don't knowingly lie about anyone or anything.
Be Nice. No racism, sexism or any sort of -ism that is degrading to another person.
Be Proactive. Use the 'Report' link on each comment to let us know of abusive posts.
Share with Us. We'd love to hear eyewitness accounts, the history behind an article.