The standoff after an overnight homicide in Kansas City, KS, has come to an end after the murder suspect was found dead inside a home.

The killing occurred after a fight over a hooded sweatshirt. The suspect apparently later committed suicide.

Police responded to a shooting call about 3:30 a.m. Thursday near the 2300 block of Mill Street. When officers arrived, they found a man dead in the front yard from an apparent gunshot wound. Officer Thomas Tomasic had warned nearby residents to stay in their houses while the standoff was still active.

The man was identified as Gabriel Valedivia, 27, of KCK>

Authorities received a tip that the suspect was inside a nearby home. Police called in tactical team for the possible barricaded suspect.

Early on in the standoff, officers returned to the command post, got a canine and drove a rescue vehicle back toward home. The Olathe Fire Investigation Explosion truck arrived on the scene about 10 a.m.

Officers entered the home about 11 a.m. and found a man dead inside and no other occupants. Police believe that man was the suspect in the homicide.

Authorities do not know how long Michael Brothers, 31, of KCK was dead, but said he fatally shot himself.

Police are not looking for any other suspects in their investigation.

Authorities had closed Southwest Boulevard and surrounding streets in the area. About noon, Southwest Boulevard was re-opened.

Residents described waking up to the sound of gunshots.

A witness told KCTV5 that the person killed and the suspect were both intoxicated and got into a fight about a hooded sweatshirt.

Timothy Brawley said the two men were fighting over a "a jacket or a hoodie being taken from the other." One of the men claimed he had no knowledge about the missing clothing.

Brawley said that the man who often sleeps overnight on his sister's porch asked him for a jacket because he was cold and would be outdoors all night long.

"I went to my back porch and hanging right on the inside is a hoodie," he said. "I grabbed it and rapidly 10 to 13 shots were fired."

He saw the victim lying face down. He was lifeless, Brawley said. The victim's sister had rushed to his side.

"She was bawling on top of him, crying, 'Please, no, please no,'" he recalled.

After police arrived, they led Brawley, the woman and others from the scene for their safety as they sought to arrest the suspect.

Some residents hid inside their homes.

"The smoke bombs and the tanks, the SWAT and the dogs," Adrianna Campos said. "It's just stuff you don't see everyday. It's not how we start off our morning."

Those who know both men are stunned by the repercussions of a fight over a piece of clothing and sorry that it ended the way it did.

Brawley said the two have fought before, but "the last thing I expected to see was the one guy resolve it with violence."

Police are hoping that witnesses could them in their investigation. Anyone with information is urged to call the TIPS Hotline at 816-474-TIPS.

Copyright 2012 KCTV (Meredith Corp.) All rights reserved.



Digital Content Manager

Recommended for you

(0) comments

Welcome to the discussion.

Keep it Clean. Please avoid obscene, vulgar, lewd, racist or sexually-oriented language.
Don't Threaten. Threats of harming another person will not be tolerated.
Be Truthful. Don't knowingly lie about anyone or anything.
Be Nice. No racism, sexism or any sort of -ism that is degrading to another person.
Be Proactive. Use the 'Report' link on each comment to let us know of abusive posts.
Share with Us. We'd love to hear eyewitness accounts, the history behind an article.