HEAT ADVISORY: Find a cooling center near you
KANSAS CITY, Mo. (KCTV) - The National Weather Service has issued several heat advisories across the metro as temps soar into the high 90s for many.
Kansas City, Independence, and Johnson county have all opened cooling centers for the public to help beat the extreme heat.
In Kansas City, all 10 city community centers will sere as cooling centers during normal business hours, and several of the city’s free spraygrounds are open for use. Kansas City buses and the street car are free to ride and airconditioned for those needing relief.
Here’s a list of Kansas City’s 10 community centers:
- Brush Creek Community Center: 3801 Emanuel Cleaver II Blvd., Kansas City, MO 64130
- Garrison Community Center: 1124 E. Fifth Street Kansas City, MO 64106
- Gregg/Klice Community Center: 1600 John Buck O’Neil Way, Kansas City, MO 64108
- Hillcrest Community Center: 10401 Hillcrest Road Kansas City, MO 64134
- Kansas City North Community Center: 3930 N.E. Antioch Road, Kansas City, MO 64117
- Line Creek Community Center: 5940 N.W. Waukomis Drive, Kansas City, MO 64151
- Marlborough Community Center: 8200 The Paseo Boulevard, Kansas City, MO 64131
- Southeast Community Center: 4201 E. 63rd Street Kansas City, MO 64130
- Tony Aguirre Community Center: 2050 W Pennway St, Kansas City, MO 64108
- Westport Roanoke Community Center: 3601 Roanoke Road, Kansas City, MO 64111
In Independence, the Roger T. Sermon Community Center at 201 North Dodgion Avenue will be open from 8 a.m. to 8 p.m. Monday through Wednesday this week. At the center, water will be available and places to rest and charge cell phones.
For Johnson County, all 14 libraries in the Johnson County Library system will serve as cooling centers. The locations for these are:
- Blue Valley
- Cedar Roe
- Central Resource
- De Soto
- Leawood Pioneer
- Lenexa City Center
- Oak Park
- Spring Hill
To see more about cooling centers in Johnson County, click here.
UPDATE: The Salvation Army has also opened cooling centers around the KC metro. They say, “The Cooling Centers will provide socially distanced, air-conditioned space while serving bottled water and pre-packaged snacks along with information about how to stay safe.” You can find the cooling centers, which are open to the public, here:
- Blue Valley Community Center in KCMO - 6618 East Truman Road
- Eastside Community Center in KCMO - 3013-17 East 9th St.
- Independence Community Center - 14700 East Truman Road
- Kansas City, Kansas Community Center - 6723 State Ave.
- Northland Community Center in KCMO - 5306 N. Oak Trafficway
- Olathe Community Center - 420 E. Santa Fe
- Southland Community Center in Grandview - 6111 E. 129th St.
- Westport Community Center in KCMO - 500 West 39th St.
Copyright 2022 KCTV. All rights reserved.