She thought it was a ‘safe solution,’ but overuse of over-the-counter medication can be deadly

Published: May. 31, 2022 at 5:37 PM CDT
Email This Link
Share on Pinterest
Share on LinkedIn

KANSAS CITY, Mo. (KCTV) - There’s something that you probably have in your medicine cabinet that can make you very sick if you don’t follow the directions closely. Millions of people take it every day without a thought. It can help cure a headache, relieve other aches and pains, and reduce a fever. But it can also poison you. It’s acetaminophen—sold under the brand name Tylenol.

While acetaminophen is a very effective drug when used as directed, when it’s overused, it’s dangerous. Many don’t realize the danger.

Katlyn Bokhoven is one of them. The 29-year-old had just started a new job but her insurance hadn’t started yet. When she developed pain in her stomach, she took acetaminophen. The pain didn’t go away, so she took more. She took it daily for weeks.

Katlyn Bokhoven is one of thousands who's been affected by acetaminophen toxicity
Katlyn Bokhoven is one of thousands who's been affected by acetaminophen toxicity(KCTV5)

“I was trying to use what I knew as a safe solution,” said Bokhoven.

She went on vacation, and continued to take the medication, trying to push through the pain. She told us she probably took double what is recommended until everything crashed.

The crash leads to hospitalization

Over a week’s time, Katlyn’s condition deteriorated. She got weaker and weaker, yet the pain persisted. She was rushed to an emergency room for treatment, then fell into a coma. She had acetaminophen poisoning. It was serious. Katlyn would need a liver transplant.

Dr. Ryan Taylor with the University of Kansas Health System told us cases like Katlyn’s are more common than most people realize.

“We see about one or two patients a week come into the hospital with either intentional or unintentional overuse of acetaminophen,” said Dr. Taylor. “(Patients) think they’re just taking extra. More is better. They’re going to have more pain relief if they take more tablets and think nothing of taking more of the recommended doses because they want more pain relief.”

He says they don’t realize the more they take, the more they are poisoning themselves.

According to the National Institutes of health, 56,000 people go to Emergency Rooms due to acetaminophen toxicity each year and 500 of them will die. About half of those ER visits are unintentional poisonings.

While acetaminophen is a very effective drug when used as directed, when it’s overused, it’s...
While acetaminophen is a very effective drug when used as directed, when it’s overused, it’s dangerous.(NIH)

Use and overuse

Here in the U.S., acetaminophen is readily available. You can buy hundreds of pills at a time. It is also very commonly used in over-the-counter cold and allergy medications, other pain relievers—even sleep aids. It’s also used in prescription medications like Vicodin and Percocet. You can view the list of common medications here. Doctors say it’s important to read drug labels on your over-the-counter medications and talk with your doctor or pharmacist about your prescription medications. According to the Liver Foundation, acetaminophen is found in at least 600 other medicines. It is the most common drug ingredient in America.

Here are warning signs of overdose:

Warning signs of an acetaminophen overdosing
Warning signs of an acetaminophen overdosing(NIH)

Other countries are working toward limiting access to the drug. In the United Kingdom, acetaminophen is called paracetamol, but that’s not the only difference. There are limits on the number of pills you can buy at a time. And it’s kept behind the counter—much like we treat Sudafed. Medical Journals have shown it reduced suicides and the need for liver transplants due to overdose. Read the report here.

Long road to recovery

Katlyn spent months in the hospital. The even more time after her liver transplant at a rehabilitation center. She had to regain simple skills—like walking. Almost a year after her horrible ordeal, Katlyn is back to work and mostly back to her old self. She can enjoy walks with her boyfriend and dogs. She’s hoping that sharing her story will warn others about the dangers of overusing acetaminophen.

“If we hadn’t come (to the ER) that day, I would not have survived,” said Bokhoven. ‘I would have died or completely shut down.” She’s grateful to the providers at St. Luke’s Hospital and Rehabilitation Center that have cared for her.

Doctors emphasize that acetaminophen is safe and effective when used properly. They also warn that acetaminophen and alcohol don’t mix.