A couple's warning after their dog tragically suffocates - KCTV5 News

A couple's warning after their dog tragically suffocates

Posted: Updated:

(KTRK/Meredith) – A Texas couple is mourning the sudden death of their pitbull 'Petey.' The dog was reaching for a bag of chips when it got its head stuck in the bag and suffocated.

"We had the bag of chips that was fairly slim bag that was made of cellophane and it had been on the countertop the whole weekend. We had been snacking on them. We had come and gone even throughout the weekend and he never messed with them," said Chrissy Young, the dog owner.

The couple rushed Petey to Four Seasons Vet Hospital but it was too late.

Dr. Allison Erkman said she has heard of cases like this, but it was a first for their clinic.

"Anything on the counter within their reach or a trash can that's easily knocked over. Dogs will follow their nose to just about anything, and I think if they find it tasty enough, they'll go into it,” Erkman noted.

The vet stated while they'll never know exactly what happened, the bag may have gotten stuck behind Petey's ears after eating the chips, and dogs' first instinct is to shake their heads first before pawing at something.

"He was very -I felt -an agile and athletic dog and very smart. So, that was a hard thing to understand and after doing the research and seeing how quickly it happens," Young added.

It was tough for the Tomball couple to come home without their Petey.

They hope by sharing their story, it could save another.

"Obviously, knowing how many people -- all of the positive messages and prayers that we've received -- helps us to feel like we didn't lose him for nothing and maybe a piece of him will live on forever," Young said.

Powered by Frankly
KCTV 5 News

Online Public File:

Powered by WorldNow CNN
All content © 2018, KCTV; Kansas City, MO. (A Meredith Corporation Station) . All Rights Reserved.
For more information on this site, please read our Privacy Policy, and Terms of Service, and Ad Choices.