Chimney fire displaces Overland Park family - KCTV5

Chimney fire displaces Overland Park family

Posted: Updated:
An Overland Park family has been temporarily displaced and staying with neighbors after a chimney fire inside their home. (Rob Rhodes/KCTV5 News) An Overland Park family has been temporarily displaced and staying with neighbors after a chimney fire inside their home. (Rob Rhodes/KCTV5 News)
OVERLAND PARK, KS (KCTV) -

An Overland Park family has been temporarily displaced and staying with neighbors after a chimney fire inside their home.

Crews from Overland Park and Leawood fire departments responded just after 12:30 p.m. Monday to a house fire at 152nd Terrace and Hardy.

First units on the scene reported smoke and fire from the attic and chimney of a two-story, single family home.

A resident met firefighters and reported everyone out of the home.

Firefighters went to work attacking fire in the attic and confirmed that everyone was out of the house. It took about 20 minutes to bring the fire under control.

No injuries were reported and fire damage was contained to the chimney and attic area next to the chimney. The master bedroom suffered water and sheetrock damage.

While the exact cause of the fire is under investigation, the chimney is believed to be the cause.

The homeowner reports that while using the fireplace, he was alerted by sounding smoke alarms.

Overland Park Fire wants to remind everyone to have their chimney professionally inspected annually to be sure it is in good working order and free from obstructions and defects.

Copyright 2018 KCTV (Meredith Corp.) All rights reserved.

Powered by Frankly
KCTV 5 News

Online Public File:
KCTV  KSMO

Powered by WorldNow CNN
All content © 2018, KCTV; Kansas City, MO. (A Meredith Corporation Station) . All Rights Reserved.
For more information on this site, please read our Privacy Policy, and Terms of Service, and Ad Choices.