Vet sounds alarm about giving sugar free peanut butter to pets - KCTV5

Vet sounds alarm about giving sugar free peanut butter to pets

Posted: Updated:
(File photo) (File photo)
KANSAS CITY, MO (KCTV) -

There's something you maybe giving to your pet that's incredibly dangerous, but a lot of people are not aware of it. 

Peanut butter is something we use when it's time to give our loyal friends a treat or if it's time for them to take their medicine.

However, one vet is urging pet owners to read the labels closely before you give them one of their favorite treats. 

More and more companies are coming out with sugar free, healthier alternatives to some of our favorite foods and that includes peanut butter.

Xylitol, the ingredient that makes the sugar free foods taste sweet, is toxic to dogs.  

Veterinarians say dogs that have accidentally eaten xylitol need to be seen immediately and will likely have to stay in a hospital setting for evaluation and IV fluids.

"The problem is it causes their blood sugar to drop so a lot of times," said Dr. Kim Gugler, an emergency veterinarian. "They become lethargic, they start getting wobbly or weak and they can even start vomiting and at really high doses. For example a very small dog that eats an entire pack of gum. It can cause liver failure."

Gugler says most peanut butters are safe for dogs, but to make sure you carefully read the label and only give safe peanut butter in small doses. 

Copyright 2018 KCTV (Meredith Corp.). All rights reserved.

Powered by Frankly
KCTV 5 News

Online Public File:
KCTV  KSMO

Powered by WorldNow CNN
All content © 2018, KCTV; Kansas City, MO. (A Meredith Corporation Station) . All Rights Reserved.
For more information on this site, please read our Privacy Policy, and Terms of Service, and Ad Choices.