Lee’s Summit North student dies at hospital after shooting self - KCTV5 News

Lee’s Summit North student dies at hospital after shooting self at school

Posted: Updated:
The school, located at 901 NE Douglas Street, says students will be sent home from school at 9:15 a.m. (Chopper5) The school, located at 901 NE Douglas Street, says students will be sent home from school at 9:15 a.m. (Chopper5)

Students at Lee's Summit North High School were sent home early on Friday after another student tragically took her own life in a second-floor bathroom.

Lee's Summit police responded to the school at about 7:50 a.m.

Students at the school reported hearing a gunshot from a second-floor bathroom. Police entered the room and found a student. That student was taken to an area hospital with life-threatening injuries.

The student passed away soon after arriving at the hospital.

The school, located at 901 NE Douglas Street, was put on a soft lockdown and students were kept in their classrooms so paramedics could quickly get upstairs. Then, all students not involved in the incident were sent home at 9:15 a.m.

Police do not believe that anyone was in the bathroom when the incident happened, but they are still trying to figure out if students and teachers ran into the bathroom to help after hearing the gunshot. 

Officers did not say how the student tried to inflict harm.

According to the city of Lee's Summit, the district provided counselors to students and staff who wanted to talk after the dismissal today. A plan is in place to continue that support next week. 

One student who lost another friend a couple of years back said that it helps in these situations. “Just getting to talk with someone just really changes your attitude, your mindset," said Michael Fort, a junior. "During soft lockdown, the teacher just locks the doors and continues teaching," he said. "During hard lockdown is when you hide, they lock the doors, shut the lights off, everything like that -- act like you’re not there."

Officers with the Lee's Summit Police Department are in the process of talking with family. Sgt. Chris Depue said, “Our hearts are broken right along with district staff. It’s a tragic event.”

Police are also building a timeline and trying to figure out where the weapon came from. There were no metal detectors in place. Police say that it's rare for weapons like guns or knives to be brought inside the school. 

“We’ll move backwards and look at events and timelines and look at where did the weapon come from," said Sgt. Depue. "Obviously, in a case like this, you’re looking for any other clues that may have lead up to this.”

For people who have questions about safety, police said that the staff did everything right. 

Sgt. Depue said, "There's nothing they could have done better. I was totally impressed with their response; the way the teachers and staff reacted without hesitation and did everything they could to help the student today."

Lee's Summit district officials are asking for prayers at this time. Dr. Dennis L. Carpenter, the superintendent, said, "We are heartbroken about the passing of one of our students earlier today and our thoughts and prayers are with the students family, friends, and teachers."

It was a confusing day for students. At the time, they wondered why the school went into lockdown mode. 

"Maybe drug dogs, maybe a drill," remembered Kyler Watson, a junior. "I don’t think that anyone really guessed it would be on this magnitude.” 

The news hit students hard. 

“It just makes you wonder why that would happen or why something would do this to a student to make them feel this way," said senior Zoee Fisher.

“It’s kind of scary that someone could get a gun into school that easily," said Watson. “When something like that happens and it's almost kind of desensitized, it’s time for sort of a wakeup call that this isn’t something that should be a normal thing," Watson added.

The school district said only LSN would be released early. Students who drive themselves to school were able to leave on their own and normal bus routes continued.

The district notified parents of the incident.

According to the district, school and activities for the rest of the day have been canceled, with the exception of an ongoing tennis event.

Friday's football game between Lee's Summit North High School and Blue Springs High School has been postponed. According to the school district, the game will be delayed until 2 p.m. on Saturday, Sept. 30 "with the time to be determined."

"The decision to cancel and delay activities is being made with our students' best interests in mind," the district said. 

There is no word on funeral arrangements at this time.

There is help available for those who need it.

The Suicide Prevention Lifeline can be reached at 1-800-273-TALK OR 1-800-273-8255. The lifeline offers free and confidential emotional support. It is manned 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, year around.

Those in need can also chat live with a counselor by logging onto suicidepreventionlifeline.org

Copyright 2017 KCTV (Meredith Corp.) All rights reserved.

Powered by Frankly
KCTV 5 News

Online Public File:

Powered by WorldNow CNN
All content © 2018, KCTV; Kansas City, MO. (A Meredith Corporation Station) . All Rights Reserved.
For more information on this site, please read our Privacy Policy, and Terms of Service, and Ad Choices.