Man, woman hospitalized after pulled from KCK house fire by gran - KCTV5

Man, woman hospitalized after pulled from KCK house fire by grandson

Posted: Updated:
Blankenship's son says he woke to the smell of fire and then woke everyone else up. (KCTV5) Blankenship's son says he woke to the smell of fire and then woke everyone else up. (KCTV5)
KANSAS CITY, KS (KCTV) -

A man and a woman have been placed in the hospital after being rescued from an early morning house fire by their grandson.

The fire started about 1:30 a.m. Wednesday in the 1200 block of S 37th Street.

Cindy Blankenship and her son recently moved into the home to take care of her parents.

Blankenship's son Cody says he woke to the smell of fire and then woke everyone else up.

He says he realized he couldn't rescue his grandparents on his own so he went to get a neighbor to help. He and the neighbor were able to get the grandparents to safety.

Cindy says she went to her parents but the smoke was so heavy that she could barely see two feet in front of her face. That's when she realized her parents were still in the house.

"The first thing I did, I went into my parents' room and told them to get up the house was on fire," Blankenship said. "My dad's on long leg braces. I thought he was right behind me and I looked back and he said, 'Cindy where are you? Help me! Help me!' And then, I try to go in there to get him and I wasn't strong enough to pull them out."

Blankenship says the fire started in the back of the house and that the smoke alarms did not go off. She says they have had electrical wiring problems and have reported it to the landlord several times. She says if it wasn't for her son and her neighbor, she doesn't know how things would have ended.

"They went in there and grabbed them. They passed out in the living room and went in there and grabbed them out by their arm and drug them out onto the front porch," Blankenship said.

She says her son and the neighbor are heroes.

"Chad and Cody are my heroes. They are the ones who saved my mom and dad and I appreciate it very, very much," she added. 

Emergency crews transported the grandparents to an area hospital where they are being treated for smoke inhalation in the intensive care unit.

The fire has been put out.

The American Red Cross is giving Blankenship and her son a place to stay.

Copyright 2017 KCTV (Meredith Corp.) All rights reserved.

Powered by Frankly
KCTV 5 News

Online Public File:
KCTV  KSMO

Powered by WorldNow CNN
All content © 2017, KCTV; Kansas City, MO. (A Meredith Corporation Station) . All Rights Reserved.
For more information on this site, please read our Privacy Policy, and Terms of Service, and Ad Choices.