Firefighters put out house fire, resuscitate family dog in Lee's - KCTV5

Firefighters put out house fire, resuscitate family dog in Lee's Summit

Posted: Updated:
The owners of the home say they woke up to smoke alarms going off throughout the house and found that their garage was on fire. (KCTV5) The owners of the home say they woke up to smoke alarms going off throughout the house and found that their garage was on fire. (KCTV5)
Jackson is one of the two dogs that was home when a fire broke out. His puppy brother remains at the animal hospital. (KCTV5) Jackson is one of the two dogs that was home when a fire broke out. His puppy brother remains at the animal hospital. (KCTV5)
LEE'S SUMMIT, MO -

Firefighters in Lee’s Summit are receiving praise after putting out a fire at a family’s home and saving their dog's life late Thursday night.

The fire happened at about 10:40 p.m. at a home in the 400 block of NE Carriage Street.

The owners of the home say they woke up to smoke alarms going off throughout the house and found that their garage was on fire. They grabbed one of their two dogs and rushed out the door.

When firefighters arrived, they were able to keep the fire contained to the garage and found the second dog. The dog was unresponsive, but firefighters were able to resuscitate the pooch. The dog was taken to an area animal hospital for further treatment.

Firefighters say the fire started on a workbench in the garage. They determined that a radio-controlled car battery overheated while charging and ignited nearby combustibles.

The homeowner says there is about $20,000 worth of damage.

They say an antique car was near the fire, but, luckily, was not damaged.

The family was not able to stay at the home overnight. Firefighters posted a note on the front door telling people not to enter the home.

Experts say that just about any battery can cause a fire because of how powerful they are and how much energy they store.

They say it's important to be mindful of what's around when you charge it because certain things can trigger it to overheat and even explode. 

Copyright 2017 KCTV (Meredith Corp.) All rights reserved.

Powered by Frankly
KCTV 5 News

Online Public File:
KCTV  KSMO

Powered by WorldNow CNN
All content © 2017, KCTV; Kansas City, MO. (A Meredith Corporation Station) . All Rights Reserved.
For more information on this site, please read our Privacy Policy, and Terms of Service, and Ad Choices.