Elderly woman catches fire, dies at St. Charles nursing home - KCTV5

Elderly woman catches fire, dies at St. Charles nursing home

Posted: Updated:
Donna Chapman. Credit: KMOV Donna Chapman. Credit: KMOV

ST. CHARLES, Mo. (KMOV.com) -- An elderly woman has died after catching fire at her nursing home.

Donna Chapman, 83, was partially paralyzed.  She suffered third-degree burns and died on Monday from her injuries.

Chapman was said to be smoking a cigarette on the patio Saturday of the NHC Healthcare off Highway 94 and north of Highway 364.

The Post-Dispatch reported she had been put out on the patio in her wheelchair.

Her relatives say she was left unattended, and at some point, Chapman's clothes caught fire.

Chapman's daughter-in-law says an attendant found her on fire.

The nursing home claims Champman was only left alone for a few minutes.

NHC St. Charles gave News 4 this statement:

This is a difficult occurence at the center for our partners, who were quite attached to Chapman.  She was part of our family.  We share our condolences with the family and the partners.

When asked for more details leading up to and after the fire, NHC declined to comment.

News 4 is also working on talking with Chapman's family.

Stay tuned to News 4 as this story develops.

Copyright 2017 KMOV (Meredith Corporation). All rights reserved.

Watch News 4 Now

Mouse over player for controls · LAUNCH FULL PLAYER

Powered by Frankly
KCTV 5 News

Online Public File:
KCTV  KSMO

Powered by WorldNow CNN
All content © 2017, KCTV; Kansas City, MO. (A Meredith Corporation Station) . All Rights Reserved.
For more information on this site, please read our Privacy Policy, and Terms of Service, and Ad Choices.