Faulty wiring causes attic fire in Lee’s Summit - KCTV5

Faulty wiring causes attic fire in Lee’s Summit

Posted: Updated:
File photo. (AP) File photo. (AP)
LEE'S SUMMIT, MO (KCTV) -

Faulty wiring had people in Lee's Summit standing outside while crews put out a fire in their attic.

On Sunday just before 6 a.m., the Lee’s Summit Fire Department went to 1402 SW Jefferson St. on a call about a possible house fire. The person in the house said the power was out and that there was a fire in the attic.

When fire crews arrived, they saw light smoke coming from the single-story house. Everyone inside had already moved outside.

Crews entered the house and tore down the ceiling in the living room so they could get to the fire in the attic. After doing so, crews quickly extinguished the fire, which involved ceiling joists and insulation.

The damage did not spread to other parts of the attic or the living areas.

The people living there told crews that they had been having issues with the building’s electrical system since the night before.

The power had gone out around 2 a.m. on Sunday and then they started noticing a weird smell. One of the people living there found the fire in the attic, told everyone to get outside, and called the fire department.

Subsequently, the fire was determined to have been caused by faulty electrical wiring.

Copyright 2016 KCTV (Meredith Corp.) All rights reserved.

Powered by Frankly
KCTV 5 News

Online Public File:
KCTV  KSMO

Powered by WorldNow CNN
All content © 2017, KCTV; Kansas City, MO. (A Meredith Corporation Station) . All Rights Reserved.
For more information on this site, please read our Privacy Policy, and Terms of Service, and Ad Choices.