Samsung Galaxy S7 Edge phone catches fire in class at Staley Hig - KCTV5

Samsung Galaxy S7 Edge phone catches fire in class at Staley High School

Posted: Updated:
A picture of the student's phone that caught on fire in class. (KCTV) A picture of the student's phone that caught on fire in class. (KCTV)
A view of the back of the student's phone that caught on fire. (KCTV) A view of the back of the student's phone that caught on fire. (KCTV)
NORTH KANSAS CITY, MO (KCTV) -

On Thursday morning, a student’s Samsung phone caught fire in class at Staley High School.

The phone was a Galaxy S7 Edge, which has not been recalled by Samsung.

No one in the freshman math class was injured, but the student’s parents were called.

A fan was put in the classroom to clear the smoke and smell. The room was closed off for the remainder of the day, and the class was relocated to the library.

“I think it was a Samsung Galaxy," said student Cam Holmes. "That mother just blew up. It was just fire; left a stain on the floor. All the hallways were smelly and stinky and stuff.”

A short email about the phone incident was sent out by the principal, along with some other school updates. A later update was sent out by the school's director of media and public relations. 

As of 1 p.m., the air had cleared and the room will be reopened as needed.

Samsung has faced multiple recalls of phones, including the Samsung Galaxy Note 7, and washing machines this year. 

A California man filed a lawsuit in September saying his Galaxy S7 Edge burst into flames in his pocket and badly burned his leg.

Tech expert and CEO of Everhance Ramsey Mohsen recommends all Galaxy users immediately switch to a different phone. "I do believe that the lack of clarity and details Samsung has shared about their devices is reason to be concerned," said Mohsen. "There isn't any reason to take a chance regarding your safety for yourself and others."

Those who sell phones and accessories at SetCell also repair phones. 

SetCell owner Tyler Herndon got a fire extinguisher and took KCTV5 outside to demonstrate how a faulty battery can spark.

“You’re pumping juice into it,” Herndon said. “You’re pumping juice out of it. It expands. It contracts. And eventually something goes wrong. 

He says any lithium ion battery can be volatile when it's overworked.

Things that can cause dangerous damage include:

  • Getting it wet
  • Keeping it plugged in and charging for long periods of time
  • And using a generic charger.

“We see all the time people walk in here with their charger and the charger is fried,” Herndon said. "We really need to start looking at the chargers specifically. We know who’s manufacturing the batteries, but who’s manufacturing these chargers?”

Samsung issued the following statement to KCTV5: 

"Samsung stands behind the quality and safety of the Galaxy S7 family. Until Samsung is able to obtain and examine any device, it is impossible to determine the true cause of any incident."

Copyright 2016 KCTV (Meredith Corp.) All rights reserved.

  • Most Popular StoriesMost Popular StoriesMore>>

  • Missouri man charged with felony after alleged racial slur

    Missouri man charged with felony after alleged racial slur

    Thursday, January 29 2015 11:44 PM EST2015-01-30 04:44:07 GMT
    A 65-year-old Maryville man is charged with felony assault after he allegedly confronted a black server as she served him breakfast. The man is accused of assaulting her and using racially insensitive language.More >
    A 65-year-old Maryville man is charged with felony assault after he allegedly confronted a black server as she served him breakfast. The man is accused of assaulting her and using racially insensitive language. More >
  • Police: Denver man arrested after removing transgender woman's testicles

    Police: Denver man arrested after removing transgender woman's testicles

    Monday, May 22 2017 4:39 AM EDT2017-05-22 08:39:49 GMT
    (Denver Police Department via AP)(Denver Police Department via AP)

    Police say a Colorado man without a medical license has been arrested after he allegedly used an Army surgical kit to castrate a transgender woman at her Denver apartment.

    More >

    Police say a Colorado man without a medical license has been arrested after he allegedly used an Army surgical kit to castrate a transgender woman at her Denver apartment.

    More >
  • WATCH: Startling video shows sea lion snatching girl from pier

    WATCH: Startling video shows sea lion snatching girl from pier

    Monday, May 22 2017 4:47 AM EDT2017-05-22 08:47:58 GMT
    (Source: Michael Fujiwara / YouTube)(Source: Michael Fujiwara / YouTube)

    A sea lion snatched a girl off a dock and yanked her into the water on Canada's West Coast, where a bystander caught the startling encounter on video.

    More >

    A sea lion snatched a girl off a dock and yanked her into the water on Canada's West Coast, where a bystander caught the startling encounter on video.

    More >
Powered by Frankly
KCTV 5 News

Online Public File:
KCTV  KSMO

Powered by WorldNow CNN
All content © 2017, KCTV; Kansas City, MO. (A Meredith Corporation Station) . All Rights Reserved.
For more information on this site, please read our Privacy Policy, and Terms of Service, and Ad Choices.