KCK man fights for accountability after brutal beating - KCTV5

KCK man fights for accountability after brutal beating

Posted: Updated:
Kevin Koehler spent nine days in the hospital and hours in surgery. (KCTV5) Kevin Koehler spent nine days in the hospital and hours in surgery. (KCTV5)

If you or a loved one was attacked, how hard do you think police would work to solve the crime?

In this case, the victim gave police his attacker’s name the night it happened. Then days rolled by. Frustrated, he turned to KCTV5 News for help.

Kevin Koehler let a guy down on his luck move in with him at the suggestion of his church pastor.

Koehler was a volunteer at Lutheran Church of Our Savior and just wanted to help someone out.

The new roommate wanted a puppy, but Koehler said, "No."

The two had an argument, and Koehler was brutally beaten.

"This guy was trying to kill me," Koehler said. "He was kicking me in the face and kicking me and kicking me."

Koehler was rushed to the hospital where surgeons described the bones in his face as crushed potato chips.

"He hit me with the chair, and I’m already stunned, and I wake up getting my face beat into the carpet," Koehler said. "He took my phone. He took my wallet."

Koehler spent nine days in the hospital and hours in surgery.

"I was told 60 screws, 50 some plates, nose broken, jaw broken ... my face was totally smashed," Koehler said.

Koehler is on a soft diet and lucky his lower jaw wasn’t broken too. Some of his vision loss could be permanent.

"Broken ... I'm his dad. I'm 76 years old. I was broken. It was hard," Koehler's dad, Ted Koehler, said.

The Koehlers reached out to KCTV5 News concerned police weren’t working fast enough to solve their crime.

"They are doing nothing. There is no investigation. There is no warrant. There is no trying to find him or nothing," Kevin Koehler said.

Kevin Koehler said his temporary roommate, Anthony McRoberts, is responsible. Unknown to him and his pastor, McRoberts was no stranger to police.

McRoberts was arrested in August for rape. At the time of Kevin Koehler's attack, he was out on bond.   

"A normal traffic ticket ... a person getting a traffic ticket would get more of a hard time than this person got," Kevin Koehler said.

"I'm disappointed in the police department, because they have not contacted either Kevin or myself," Ted Koehler said.

KCTV5 went searching for answers.

Mjr. Curtis Nicholson, with the Kansas City, KS Police Department, said detectives have the suspect's name in this case, but they have not talked to him yet.

Police explained things normally work faster, but this was an exceptional case of bad timing.

"I wish that we were able to get to this case a little bit quicker. We don't like for people to have to wait for us to work their cases," Nicholson said.

Nicholson explained the victim was too medicated when the detective was working. Then, the detective was off. When he returned to work, there was a week of training.

"The detective is in training? Well it’s stupid. You know, as far as I'm concerned, there are other detectives that aren't in training that could at least be questioning him or feeding me some information. They haven't done so. So make of that what you wish," Ted Koehler said.

"I don't know whether I’d say that we dropped the ball. I mean, of course, we want to work every case as fast as possible, but I guess in hindsight if we could have assigned this case to somebody else that’s just not our preferred method of doing it because it takes time to get that new detective up to speed," Nicholson said.

Kevin Koehler says the delay means he not only left the hospital in pain but also in fear and frustration and questioning if and when his alleged attacker will be found.

"I know who did it. They know who did it," he said.

McRoberts was arrested late Tuesday night, 15 days after Kevin Koehler was attacked.

The family is grateful he is off the streets, but they still question how long the process took and wonder what the response would have been if they didn’t publicly complain to KCTV5's investigative unit.

Nicholson provided his cell phone number when he learned a victim’s family was unhappy with an active investigation. His advice for victims is to ask for a supervisor if you are frustrated and keep going up the chain of command until you get answers.

Copyright 2016 KCTV (Meredith Corp.) All rights reserved.

Powered by Frankly
KCTV 5 News

Online Public File:

Powered by WorldNow CNN
All content © 2018, KCTV; Kansas City, MO. (A Meredith Corporation Station) . All Rights Reserved.
For more information on this site, please read our Privacy Policy, and Terms of Service, and Ad Choices.