Basketball player likely died from chewing gum in sleep - KCTV5

Basketball player likely died from chewing gum in sleep

Posted: Updated:
The Washington County coroner's office said 21-year-old Shanice Clark of Toronto was found unresponsive at about 3 a.m. Sunday at California University of Pennsylvania. (Photo Courtesy: Cal U Athletics) The Washington County coroner's office said 21-year-old Shanice Clark of Toronto was found unresponsive at about 3 a.m. Sunday at California University of Pennsylvania. (Photo Courtesy: Cal U Athletics)
CALIFORNIA, Pa. (AP) -

A western Pennsylvania university student and basketball player likely inhaled chewing gum into her lungs while asleep before being found dead in her dormitory over the weekend.

The Washington County coroner's office said 21-year-old Shanice Clark of Toronto was found unresponsive at about 3 a.m. Sunday at California University of Pennsylvania.

University officials said they were "deeply saddened" by the death of the 6-foot senior forward, who was redshirting after playing two dozen games for the Vulcans last season.

California borough police say a preliminary report from medical personnel indicated that the death appeared to be accidental.

An autopsy was conducted Monday.

Although the coroner didn't immediately release the results, police say medical personnel indicated Clark aspirated the chewing gum while sleeping.

Copyright 2015 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

Powered by Frankly
KCTV 5 News

Online Public File:
KCTV  KSMO

Powered by WorldNow CNN
All content © 2017, KCTV; Kansas City, MO. (A Meredith Corporation Station) . All Rights Reserved.
For more information on this site, please read our Privacy Policy, and Terms of Service, and Ad Choices.