Baby sitter charged after baby suffers skull fracture - KCTV5 News

Baby sitter charged after baby suffers skull fracture

Posted: Updated:

A baby sitter allegedly got angry at an infant and threw him so hard that the baby's skull fractured in two places.

Angela Waln, 27, of Grandview is charged with one count of felony child abuse. Waln allegedly tried to say her own child had dropped the 7-month-old before admitting to the abuse, according to court records.

Angel Raya left her son Isaiah with Waln on Wednesday.

According to court documents, when Raya was feeding him later that night, she noticed a bump on the right side of the baby's head.

She called Waln to ask if he had hit his head on anything, but Waln stated that she hadn't noticed the boy bump his head on anything.

Raya put Isaiah to bed for the night and checked on him during the night. By 6 a.m., the right side of his head was swollen.

The mother then called the babysitter who began to cry while insisting nothing had occurred, according to court records. Waln said she was putting the phone down to speak to her children. She returned to the phone and told Raya that her son claimed that her daughter had dropped the baby, causing him to hit his head, according to court records.

Raya rushed her son to Children's Mercy South.

According to court documents, a brain scan showed that Isaiah was suffering from two skull fractures and bleeding to his brain. The doctor said the bleeding on the brain caused "a midline shift." The physician said the baby was struck on the right side of the head and the back of the head.

The doctor told investigators, "the injury could not have occurred from a juvenile dropping the victim on a table," according to court records.

Detectives asked Waln to come to the police station for an interview.

"Waln appeared to be very nervous as her voice was shaking and she was having trouble completing sentences," Waln said.

During the interview, Waln first told detectives that her daughter had picked up the baby and dropped him on a coffee table.

But detectives told Waln that the baby's skull fractures could not have been caused by her daughter dropping him.

Waln then claimed that the injury could have happened while she was changing the oil on her boyfriend's truck while at her parents home in Raymore. According to court documents, Waln said that Isaiah was sitting in his car seat, which she said was perched on steps. He began reaching for something, causing him to fall three to four feet onto the concrete.

Detectives again told her that such a fall would not have caused the injures, according to court records.

Waln was asked to submit to a truth-verification test similar to a polygraph. Waln said she had done nothing wrong and agreed, according to court records.

Before the tester arrived, Waln told detectives that she was holding the baby to get the mail when the dog bolted out the door. Waln said the baby hit his head on the door when she was trying to stop her dog.

"Detective Kerley again advised Waln that he didn't believe that the victim's injuries could have come from the door frame," according to court records. "Waln was adamant that no other incidents had occurred."

After three hours of questioning by detectives, Waln allegedly finally broke down and told what happened to the baby. She said the baby had been crying for 20 to 30 minutes and wouldn't stop.

"Waln stated at some point she became frustrated and angry with the victim because the victim would not stop crying. She said at some point she 'pushed' the victim and the victim fell to the floor and hit the victim's head on the trash can, which was sitting under a vanity in her bedroom."

When asked to explain how she could push a 7-month-old baby, Waln began crying and said she was angry and threw the baby across the room onto the floor. She admitted the baby could have hit either the trash can or the vanity.

"Waln stated she knew it was the wrong thing to do and she feels horrible about this," according to court records. "Waln said on numerous occasions she was sorry and felt bad about what happened."

Copyright 2014 KCTV (Meredith Corp.) All rights reserved.

Powered by Frankly
KCTV 5 News

Online Public File:

Powered by WorldNow CNN
All content © 2018, KCTV; Kansas City, MO. (A Meredith Corporation Station) . All Rights Reserved.
For more information on this site, please read our Privacy Policy, and Terms of Service, and Ad Choices.