A father lighting a cigarette on a stove sparked a fire that injured himself, his wife and his three children.
The Kansas City Fire Marshal's Office says that the cause of the fire was combustibles too close to a heat source.
Earlier this month, flames broke out at the Shadow Creek Apartments at 5703 E. 96th Place. One child and the mother suffered severe burns, according to a Kansas City Fire Department spokesman. All five were rushed to an area burn unit.
A source told KCTV5 that the father was lighting his cigarette using the burner on the stove. He also had a lighter with igniting fluid nearby.
As the cigarette caught fire, the father "swatted at it" and that caused the flames to jump. The flames ignited grease that was on the back of the stove and also some items that were near the stove.
The children were sleeping near the pile of items, which is how they were injured. The mother and father were injured trying to help their children.
The fire marshal's office has determined the cause was an accident.
The family did not have renters insurance.
Copyright 2014 KCTV (Meredith Corp.) All rights reserved.
BRADENTON BEACH, FL (WFLX) - People are outraged after a Florida couple was caught having sex on a public beach Sunday afternoon in front of dozens of people including children. Bradenton Beach policeMore >
People are outraged after a Florida couple was caught having sex on a public beach Sunday afternoon in front of dozens of people including children.More >
Wednesday, July 23 2014 10:38 AM EDT2014-07-23 14:38:30 GMT
Tragedy has repeatedly touched the life of the mother of a 5-year-old girl shot to death in Leavenworth Friday night.More >
Tragedy has repeatedly touched the life of the mother of a 5-year-old girl shot to death in Leavenworth Friday night. And some wonder if more could have been done to protect the children of Christina Harris from violence.More >