Maintenance workers injured when pool's water pump explodes - KCTV5

Maintenance workers injured when pool's water pump explodes

Posted: Updated:
KANSAS CITY, KS (KCTV) -

Three men were injured when the water pump at an apartment complex's pool exploded Tuesday.

KCK Fire Department Deputy Chief Craig Duke said the incident happened about 11:30 a.m. at the Legend Oaks Apartments, located on Garfield Court in an area just southeast of North 7777th Street and Parallel Parkway.

Duke said three men were working on the pool's water pump when it exploded and a pipe shattered. They were taken to the hospital for evaluation after getting chlorine in their eyes, inhaling fumes and suffering abrasions.

All three men will make a full recovery.

"We thought we were just getting the pool going for the summer time," said Lindsay Owens.

She and her husband live at the apartments. Her husband was helping the property manager and a maintenance worker when the PVC pipe burst. Potentially deadly and burning chlorine fumes then engulfed them.

"He ran upstairs soaking wet with chlorine and jumped in the shower to try to get it off of him," she said. "He was coughing and choking it up. Blood was coming out his foot."

He got stitches in his foot.

Fred Rucker was showing a property when he heard the sound of the explosion. He said the property manager got chlorine in his eyes.

"He couldn't see for a little bit. We just had him steadily rinse with water. We just had him rinse his eyes out with water and rinse himself off with a water hose in the back of the shop area," Rucker said.

The third man inhaled a significant amount of the gas.

Owens is glad her husband will be OK and is worried about the others.

"I'm keeping them in my prayers, hoping they're OK," she said.

If you are exposed to a release of chlorine, health experts recommend quickly moving away from the area where you were exposed. Quickly remove any clothing that may have chlorine on it. Don't pull shirts off over your head, but cut them off instead. They also recommend washing your skin with large amounts of soap and water and, if necessary, seek medical attention.

Copyright 2014 KCTV (Meredith Corp.) All rights reserved.

Powered by WorldNow
KCTV 5 News

Online Public File:
KCTV  KSMO

Powered by WorldNow CNN
All content © 2014, KCTV; Kansas City, MO. (A Meredith Corporation Station) and WorldNow. All Rights Reserved.
For more information on this site, please read our Privacy Policy and Terms of Service.