Pool safety emphasized after shocking incident in Florida - KCTV5

Pool safety emphasized after shocking incident in Florida

Posted: Updated:
OLATHE, KS (KCTV) -

The video of children being shocked at a Florida swimming pool has horrified the nation and prompted renewed interest in pool safety.

The pool became electrically charged due to unconnected ground wires in the apartment complex's pool pump house.

This type of incident is extremely rare, said Anders Wilkin of Sharkey's Pools and Spa Co. in Olathe. He said it is especially scary because a pool goer can't see or hear the danger until they are shocked.

It is best to get your pool checked out at the beginning of the season before you and your loved ones start swimming in it.

"Safety is always a concern with water," Wilkin said. "They are many fail safes in place to try to keep this from happening."

Pool lights can cause hazards. If water gets into a light, stay away and call a repairman. If the light is working then there's likely no current in your pool.

"At the beginning of the season, just check the light and see if it turns on," Wilkin said. "If the light is functional, it's a nine times out of 10 chance you are going to be OK."

There is a tool that you can use to measure the current before getting into a pool.

Copyright 2014 KCTV (Meredith Corp.) All rights reserved.

Powered by WorldNow
KCTV 5 News

Online Public File:
KCTV  KSMO

Powered by WorldNow CNN
All content © 2014, KCTV; Kansas City, MO. (A Meredith Corporation Station) and WorldNow. All Rights Reserved.
For more information on this site, please read our Privacy Policy and Terms of Service.