Tuesday, May 6 2014 8:41 AM EDT2014-05-06 12:41:25 GMT
Exactly a week after a 4-year-old died in a fire, friends and family returned to the scorched home to remember her and support each other. "We love you Sh'Mere," the crowd shouted in unison as they raisedMore >
Exactly a week after a 4-year-old died in a fire, friends and family returned to the scorched home to remember her and support each other.More >
KANSAS CITY, KS (KCTV) -
A community is remembering a little girl taken far too soon.
Sh'Mere Jackson Green died in a house fire at North 47th Street and Greeley Avenue last year. Investigators ruled the fire that killed her was accidental.
She would have been 5 years old Monday, and her family is hoping a birthday celebration will help save others.
Her 8-year-old sister, Shabrielle Jackson, remembers the night last October when her best friend died. The two girls were separated in the heavy smoke as they were trying to escape. It was a huge unimaginable loss for this family.
"Day to day. It is hard. It is nothing you could ever prepare yourself for," said Shana Jackson who decided to host a celebration on what would have been her daughter's fifth birthday. "I'm honoring my daughter's life. I'm trying to celebrate. I'm trying to be positive and keep things going the best way I can."
One of the things she did after her daughter's death was start a drill team named after Sh'Mere. The group performed at Monday night's celebration.
"That keeps me going. The girls keep me positive," Jackson said.
It is a constant reminder of a little girl gone too soon.
Shabrielle Jackson said she misses seeing her sister's smile.
Sh'Mere's family says they hope to open a community center in honor of her. One of the classes they want to offer is a course in fire safety and prevention.
Copyright 2014 KCTV (Meredith Corp.) All rights reserved.
Tuesday, May 6 2014 8:40 AM EDT2014-05-06 12:40:47 GMT
A KCK family is still struggling to come to terms with the loss of their child in a house fire. The fire broke out early Sunday morning at the 4600 block of Greeley Avenue. Sh'mere, 4, died from smokeMore >
A 7-year-old girl who fought in vain to save her younger sister in a house fire was released from the hospital. The family talks about their pain and sorrow and gratitude. More >
Tuesday, July 29 2014 5:50 AM EDT2014-07-29 09:50:38 GMT
Copyright 2014 WWBT NBC12. All rights reserved.More >
Listeria is listed on the the baby's death certificate as an immediate cause of her death. Her mother, says that while she was pregnant, she ate food that was part of a recent, nation-wide Listeria recall.More >
Tuesday, July 29 2014 7:50 PM EDT2014-07-29 23:50:53 GMT
It's not a disease and it's not contagious, but "Invisible Black Dog Syndrome" is a sad, real condition affecting local animal shelters. The term refers to the propensity of would-be-adopters walkingMore >
It's not a disease and it's not contagious, but "Invisible Black Dog Syndrome" is a sad, real condition affecting animal shelters. More >
Tuesday, July 29 2014 11:36 PM EDT2014-07-30 03:36:19 GMT
President Barack Obama dined at Arthur Bryant's ahead of his address on Wednesday about the nation's recovery from the Great Recession.More >
President Barack Obama dined at Arthur Bryant's ahead of his address on Wednesday about the nation's recovery from the Great Recession. Businesses, residents and commuters are preparing for his visit. More >
Tuesday, July 29 2014 6:55 PM EDT2014-07-29 22:55:24 GMT
A 24-year-old man has been charged in connection with the June 14 shooting that killed Christopher Mondaine in a parking lot near Sixth Street and Grand Avenue.More >
A 24-year-old man has been charged in connection with the June 14 shooting that killed Christopher Mondaine in a parking lot near Sixth Street and Grand Avenue, Jackson County Prosecutor Jean Peters Baker announced Tuesday.More >