Missouri's Attorney General's office provided KCTV5 News with a few tips for dealing with debt collectors.
Debt collectors can't:
- Harass you, your spouse or any other third party.
- Make threats of violence or abuse.
- Threaten legal action if it is not lawful or there is no intent to do so.
- Attempt to collect any amount greater than the actual debt.
- Contact you at inopportune times, such as before 8 a.m. and after 9 p.m.
- Continue to contact you after you have requested in writing that they stop.
Report complaints to the following agencies:
Missouri Attorney General
Kansas Attorney General
Federal Trade Commission