Firefighters are keeping a close eye on an apartment building now charred from a fire that ripped through it on Friday afternoon.
It began about 3:30 p.m. at the Antioch Woods Apartment, and shortly after 5 p.m. crews had the fire under control, but continued to battle hot spots. By Friday night, the fire was out, but several of the apartments inside the complex are a total loss.
One woman who lives at the complex said she's not surprised at all about what investigators think sparked the blaze.
Chopper Five was over the scene of the fast moving flames engulfing a building at the apartments located at Antioch Road and West 106th Terrace, just north of Interstate 435. It was contained to one building, affected 12 of the 18 units in it, and forced more than 40 people out of their homes.
Those displaced people are staying with friends, family or in a hotel, and say they've lost too much.
"All of my stuff is in there - my money's in there, my clothes are in there," said tenant Ally Cruz.
"We have nothing. I have a 1 year old, a 6 year old and a 15 year old. We have nothing," said tenant Tiffany Senior.
Senior's three children, along with other little ones in the complex, lost their toys and clothes, things children should never have to worry about losing. Now the single mother is worried about starting over.
"It's really going to be hard and I have no help. So it's really going to be hard, but I just thank God we still got life," she said.
While it took crews several hours to put the fire out, investigators quickly figured out what started it.
"The fire escalated into the kitchen, which typically catches on cabinets and then works through the vents, and then made entry into the attic space," said Battalion Chief Brian Redelsheimer with the Overland Park Fire Department.
Redelsheimer said the fire started on a stove inside an apartment. Strong winds helped spread the flames throughout the building. When the smoke cleared, 12 of the 18 apartments were destroyed.
As fire crews worked to knock back the flames, police blocked residents from getting inside until the fire was out.
Tiffany Soldier lives next door to the apartment where the fire started. She said it isn't the first time the man inside had problems with his stove catching fire.
"He had been cooking and he was normally able to tame the fire, but today it just got out of hand. He couldn't tame it," she said.
The fire marshal said apartment management fixed the stove earlier in the week.
"They actually repaired it on Wednesday. We are looking into getting those records to find exactly what it was they repaired," Fire Marshal Mark Sweeny said.
Over and over again residents said they are so grateful that no one was hurt.
Copyright 2014 KCTV (Meredith Corp.) All rights reserved.
Firefighters keep close eye on Overland Park apartment after fireMore>>
Wednesday, July 30 2014 6:43 PM EDT2014-07-30 22:43:54 GMT
Pointing the finger at Republicans for Congressional inaction, President Barack Obama accused them of posturing and doing everything they can to stymie economic growth.More >
Pointing the finger at Republicans for Congressional inaction, President Barack Obama accused them of posturing and doing everything they can to stymie economic growth because they are not happy he is president. More >
Tuesday, July 29 2014 5:50 AM EDT2014-07-29 09:50:38 GMT
Copyright 2014 WWBT NBC12. All rights reserved.More >
Listeria is listed on the the baby's death certificate as an immediate cause of her death. Her mother, says that while she was pregnant, she ate food that was part of a recent, nation-wide Listeria recall.More >
Wednesday, July 30 2014 7:45 AM EDT2014-07-30 11:45:17 GMT
It's not a disease and it's not contagious, but "Invisible Black Dog Syndrome" is a sad, real condition affecting local animal shelters. The term refers to the propensity of would-be-adopters walkingMore >
It's not a disease and it's not contagious, but "Invisible Black Dog Syndrome" is a sad, real condition affecting animal shelters. More >