Overland Park authorities say a recent apartment fire could have been much worse if it weren't for a little device anyone can get.
A stove fire can happen anytime, whether a person is in the kitchen or not. But luckily there's a $17 canister that can save lives and it just recently did.
Almost everything still remains after a fire broke out on the stovetop at the Lodge of Overland Park apartments earlier this week. The resident and fire crews credit a range hood fire suppressant that did its job.
"This could have been a tragedy of high magnitude, but the fire suppressants controlled the fire, put it out, extinguished it before it spread to the rest of the buildings," said Leslie Scott, the apartment's manager.
The canister hangs over stoves and most residents don't know exactly what it is or what its purpose is.
"It happens that way and people look at them and think 'What are those?' because they're kind of strange looking and we explain it to them and I don't think they really understand the magnitude of what these can do until something like this happens," Scott said.
No lives are lost and minimal damage is done to apartments. Firefighters say their response time is only five minutes to the Lodge apartments but, without the suppressant cans, that's long enough for the story to have a very different ending.
"This fire would have been raging out of control in the kitchen, in the apartment, lapping out of the apartment, so this fire was put in check quickly by the extinguishing systems to the point where the fire department, all we had to do was overhaul and make sure it was completely out," said Lt. Andrew Grove with the Overland Park Fire Department.
Not one drop of water was used by the fire department because of a $17 can that anyone can buy on their own.
It takes five to 30 seconds to activate and how quickly depends on the how close the flames get to it.
Click here for more information including fire prevention tips.
Copyright 2014 KCTV (Meredith Corp.) All rights reserved.
Tuesday, July 29 2014 5:50 AM EDT2014-07-29 09:50:38 GMT
Copyright 2014 WWBT NBC12. All rights reserved.More >
Listeria is listed on the the baby's death certificate as an immediate cause of her death. Her mother, says that while she was pregnant, she ate food that was part of a recent, nation-wide Listeria recall.More >
Tuesday, July 29 2014 7:50 PM EDT2014-07-29 23:50:53 GMT
It's not a disease and it's not contagious, but "Invisible Black Dog Syndrome" is a sad, real condition affecting local animal shelters. The term refers to the propensity of would-be-adopters walkingMore >
It's not a disease and it's not contagious, but "Invisible Black Dog Syndrome" is a sad, real condition affecting animal shelters. More >
Tuesday, July 29 2014 11:36 PM EDT2014-07-30 03:36:19 GMT
President Barack Obama dined at Arthur Bryant's ahead of his address on Wednesday about the nation's recovery from the Great Recession.More >
President Barack Obama dined at Arthur Bryant's ahead of his address on Wednesday about the nation's recovery from the Great Recession. Businesses, residents and commuters are preparing for his visit. More >
Tuesday, July 29 2014 6:55 PM EDT2014-07-29 22:55:24 GMT
A 24-year-old man has been charged in connection with the June 14 shooting that killed Christopher Mondaine in a parking lot near Sixth Street and Grand Avenue.More >
A 24-year-old man has been charged in connection with the June 14 shooting that killed Christopher Mondaine in a parking lot near Sixth Street and Grand Avenue, Jackson County Prosecutor Jean Peters Baker announced Tuesday.More >