Carelessly tossed cigarette catches apartments on fire - KCTV5

Carelessly tossed cigarette catches apartments on fire

Posted: Updated:

Authorities say a carelessly tossed cigarette is to blame for an apartment fire that caused more than $50,000 in damage.

The fire was reported about 9:45 a.m. Saturday at 4146 St. The fire started on a deck when a resident discarded a cigarette in a trash bag, according to the KCK Fire Department.

Smoke and flames were visible from the top of a six-story apartment building when firefighters arrived. The fire started on the third floor.

It took about 15 minutes to get the fire under control. Four apartments saw water damage.

Five residents are having to stay elsewhere as a result of the fire.

No one was injured.

Copyright 2014 KCTV (Meredith Corp.) All rights reserved.

Powered by WorldNow
KCTV 5 News

Online Public File:
KCTV  KSMO

Powered by WorldNow CNN
All content © 2014, KCTV; Kansas City, MO. (A Meredith Corporation Station) and WorldNow. All Rights Reserved.
For more information on this site, please read our Privacy Policy and Terms of Service.