HUNTINGTON STATION, NY (WCBS/CNN) - One person is dead and more than two dozen others are recovering after a carbon monoxide leak inside a mall restaurant Saturday night
"It is scary that we were just sitting there," Ashley Harper said. She and Kathy Sella were at the Cheesecake factory in the Walt Whitman Mall when the wait staff told the entire restaurant they had to get out.
"We were sitting at the bar we are having a glass of wine, and then somebody came up to us," Harper said. "I think it was one of the waitresses, and she said that you had to leave."
Police and emergency responders surrounded the restaurant wing where officers were called for a report of two people apparently suffering from carbon monoxide poisoning.
Police say the man and woman overcome by the fumes were employees at Legal Sea Foods, but officers say the gas leak originated next door inside Panera Bread.
Customers from both restaurants and the neighboring Cheesecake Factory were all forced to evacuate.
"We had to leave because I didn't want to blow up or anything," Harper said. "I didn't know how dangerous it was. And they just told us to stay outside."
Three responding officers were also sickened by the gas and had to be hospitalized, a frightening thought for customers who were dining so close.
"Now I think that it's scary that we were in the same building," Sella said.
Copyright 2014 WCBS via CNN. All rights reserved.