Dog dies saving Raytown family from house fire - KCTV5

Dog dies saving Raytown family from house fire

Posted: Updated:
The fire broke out about 2:15 a.m. Sunday in the 6700 block of Ralston Avenue. The fire broke out about 2:15 a.m. Sunday in the 6700 block of Ralston Avenue.
RAYTOWN, MO (KCTV) -

A Raytown family's dog has died after alerting its owners to a house fire early Sunday morning.

A mother and her 13-year-old daughter escaped injury after their dog awakened them to smoke and fire in their house.

The fire broke out about 2:15 a.m. Sunday in the 6700 block of Ralston Avenue.

Heavy smoke and fire blocked the stairway for the mother and daughter and forced them to escape from a second-floor window.

A neighbor, awoken by their yells for help, assisted them off the roof with a ladder before fire crews arrived.  However, their dog was not able to escape and died in the fire.

"The family was extremely lucky. First, their dog woke them, then the neighbor responding so quickly to rescue them from the roof," interim Fire Chief Matt Mace said.

When firefighters arrived, they reported heavy fire and smoke. The high winds complicated crews from extinguishing the fire.

At one point, firefighters were forced to exit from the house and use aerial apparatus to knock down the fire from the exterior.

It is believed that the fire originated around the area of the living room fireplace and spread throughout to the interior. The family did have working smoke alarms. 

Damage is estimated at $165,000.

The American Red Cross assisted the family with housing, food and counseling information.

Copyright 2014 KCTV (Meredith Corp.). All rights reserved.

Powered by WorldNow
KCTV 5 News

Online Public File:
KCTV  KSMO

Powered by WorldNow CNN
All content © 2014, KCTV; Kansas City, MO. (A Meredith Corporation Station) and WorldNow. All Rights Reserved.
For more information on this site, please read our Privacy Policy and Terms of Service.