Firefighters work in bitter cold to extinguish house fire - KCTV5

Firefighters work in bitter cold to extinguish Merriam house fire

Posted: Updated:
MERRIAM, KS (KCTV) -

Firefighters faced bitterly cold temperatures to extinguish a house fire Monday morning.

The temperature was about -8 degrees when fire crews in Merriam were putting out the fire in the 5800 block of Woodward Street.

The mother and her three children were awakened by a smoke alarm shortly after 6 a.m.

As the family was running to a neighbor's house, the mother called 911 from her cell phone.

As firefighters were putting out the fire, the woman told firefighters the family dog may still be in the home. Firefighters were able to find the dog under a bed in a second-floor bedroom.

Firefighters say the dog was unconscious when they brought it outside, but using a special mask just for dogs, they began giving the dog oxygen.

The dog eventually came to and was taken to a veterinarian. The fire department has been told the dog will survive.

The fire was under control by 6:30 a.m.

The fire caused about $140,000 damage. The cause of the fire was accidental.

The family says about 24 hours earlier they had cleaned out the ashes from a fire in their fireplace. They put the ashes into a Tupperware tub and placed it on their sunporch.

The fire originated in the back of the home on the sunporch. The fire department says some hot embers ignited the tub.

Copyright 2014 KCTV (Meredith Corp.) All rights reserved. 

Powered by WorldNow
KCTV 5 News

Online Public File:
KCTV  KSMO

Powered by WorldNow CNN
All content © 2014, KCTV; Kansas City, MO. (A Meredith Corporation Station) and WorldNow. All Rights Reserved.
For more information on this site, please read our Privacy Policy and Terms of Service.