A KCK family is still struggling to come to terms with the loss of their child in a house fire.
The fire broke out early Sunday morning at the 4600 block of Greeley Avenue. Sh'mere, 4, died from smoke inhalation, and her 7-year-old sister was seriously injured while trying to save her.
Their parents spoke exclusively to KCTV5 just moments after their oldest daughter was discharged from the hospital. The parents said their daughter suffered internal injuries from the smoke and was treated at the University of Kansas Medical Center. While dealing with recovering from her injuries, she is also trying to comprehend the loss of her younger sister.
"Where is your sister?" Larry Green, the girls' father, said.
"Right there," Shabrielle Jackson answered as she pointed to her heart.
Shabrielle, 7, points to her heart in remembrance of her sister and playmate, tragically killed in the Sunday morning house fire.
While she currently seems at peace with her loss, her mother is still working through her grief.
"Every day it's becoming real. You know what I'm saying? Every day I wake up and I don't have my daughter. It's hard," Shana Jackson said.
Jackson was at work Sunday morning when she got the call no parent ever wants to receive. Their home went up in smoke, claiming the life of Sh'mere. The girls were with their maternal grandmother. The cause of the fire has been listed as accidental.
Larry Green learned the devastating news from his eldest daughter.
"She grabbed her sister's hand, but she lost her sister's hand in the midst of the fire. Once she got outside, she realized her sister wasn't with her and she tried to go back in," Green said.
Shabrielle suffered internal burns from inhaling the smoke. She spent three days at the University of Kansas Medical Center's burn unit as she was treated for her injuries. Wednesday, she was discharged.
"She was eating. She was off her IVs. Everything was great. That uplifted my spirits, don't get me wrong, but at the same time, I'm still going through what I'm going to go through," Jackson said.
And now the family says this is where their real healing begins.
"We're just going to do a lot of counseling, a lot of one-on-one time. It's just me and her right now. We were three and now we're two," the mother said.
The parents said they are grateful for the help they received from the hospital and from the firefighter who was injured pulling the daughter they lost out of the burning home.
Copyright 2013 KCTV (Meredith Corp.) All rights reserved.
BRADENTON BEACH, FL (WFLX) - People are outraged after a Florida couple was caught having sex on a public beach Sunday afternoon in front of dozens of people including children. Bradenton Beach policeMore >
People are outraged after a Florida couple was caught having sex on a public beach Sunday afternoon in front of dozens of people including children.More >
Wednesday, July 23 2014 10:38 AM EDT2014-07-23 14:38:30 GMT
Tragedy has repeatedly touched the life of the mother of a 5-year-old girl shot to death in Leavenworth Friday night.More >
Tragedy has repeatedly touched the life of the mother of a 5-year-old girl shot to death in Leavenworth Friday night. And some wonder if more could have been done to protect the children of Christina Harris from violence.More >