A devastated father cannot imagine burying his 4-year-old daughter after she was killed in a house fire over the weekend.
"She was my little princess. She was everybody's little princess," said Larry Green, whose daughter, Ch'mere Jackson Green, was killed in the fire in KCK.
Ch'mere's 7-year-old sister, Shabrielle, tried to lead her sister out of the fire, but they were separated in the thick black smoke. Shabrielle tried to go back inside and save Ch'mere but could not. A KCK firefighter suffered second-degree burns in his desperate attempt to save Ch'mere, but their efforts were in vain.
Larry Green is thanking everyone including the injured firefighter who worked to save Ch'mere.
Shabrielle remains hospitalized. The smoke exacerbated her asthma.
"You don't plan on burying a 4-year-old kid," an emotional Larry Green said. "Ch'mere is the kind of little girl that you don't get every day. She's the kind of little girl that no matter where she went, she always found a friend."
It's been devastating telling Shabrielle that her baby sister didn't make it.
"Sissy didn't make it, but you are a hero," Larry Green said he told his daughter.
The girls' maternal grandmother also made it out of the fire and has since been released from an area hospital.
Family members are asking for prayers for those who are dealing with this tragedy and support.
Larry Green said his daughter taught him in her four too-short years.
"She was great. She was a beautiful little girl. She was uplifting to everybody. She always had something kind to say and I think I'm going to take that and I'm going to move on to do the best I can for my older daughter," he said.
The family is asking for assistance in paying for medical and funeral expenses. You can make donations through the Resurrection Life Family Worship Center. Funds should go to the Ch'mere Jackson Green fund. The address is 6600 Leavenworth Rd., Kansas City, KS, 66104. The church's telephone number is 913-827-1242, and tax receipts will be offered to donors.
The family was unable to set up a fund through a bank because they need a tax identification number and the IRS can't provide it during the government shutdown.
The grandmother's home did not have any working smoke detectors. The fire department ruled its cause to be accidental and the district attorney's office said they have no plans to file charges.
Copyright 2013 KCTV (Meredith Corp.) All rights reserved.
Wednesday, April 23 2014 8:20 AM EDT2014-04-23 12:20:28 GMT
The family of a little boy paralyzed after a gas station shooting that killed his father has added a stranger to the ranks of their family because of what she did for the 10-year-old boy. The woman doesn'tMore >
The family of a little boy paralyzed after a gas station shooting that killed his father has added a stranger to the ranks of their family because of what she did for the 10-year-old boy.More >
Wednesday, April 23 2014 9:54 AM EDT2014-04-23 13:54:24 GMT
A family is grieving, but shock and loss for words came when hearing the driver that killed at Northland father was drunk, police say. Court records show 20-year-old Joseph C. Surratt, who caused theMore >
A family is grieving, but shock and loss for words came when hearing the driver that killed at Northland father was drunk, police say.More >
Wednesday, April 23 2014 4:44 PM EDT2014-04-23 20:44:53 GMT
Nearly a year-and-a-half after it went up in flames in a deadly explosion, the owners of JJ's Restaurant say they have plans to reopen.Jimmy Frantze said he has signed a lease for a lobby level space inMore >
Nearly a year-and-a-half after it went up in flames in a deadly explosion, the owners of JJ's Restaurant say they have plans to reopen.More >
Wednesday, April 23 2014 5:37 PM EDT2014-04-23 21:37:40 GMT
Firefighters are battling a fire at in an exterior recycling storage area.The fire broke out about 1 p.m. Wednesday at the Deffenbaugh Recycling Center, 2404 South 88th St.There are no reports of injuries.KCTV5More >
Firefighters are battling a fire at an exterior recycling storage area.More >
Wednesday, April 23 2014 5:45 PM EDT2014-04-23 21:45:52 GMT
A Kansas judge has granted a request to formally change the name of the soldier convicted of leaking classified documents to WikiLeaks from Bradley Edward Manning to Chelsea Elizabeth Manning. The formerMore >
A Kansas judge has granted a request to formally change the name of the soldier convicted of leaking classified documents to WikiLeaks from Bradley Edward Manning to Chelsea Elizabeth Manning.More >