Company says E. coli-contaminated water in Buckeye safe again - KCTV5

UPDATE

Company says E. coli-contaminated water in Buckeye safe again

Posted: Updated:
BUCKEYE, AZ (CBS5) -

People who live in some areas of Buckeye have been given the "all-clear" to use their tap water again following a warning the water was contaminated with E. coli.

The first automated calls, notifying Valencia Water Company customers, went out late Friday afternoon.

Some customers told CBS 5 News they didn't find out until as late as 7 p.m.

Several water companies service the city of Buckeye, but this contamination alert only affected Valencia Water customers.

According to a notice posted on the website for Global Water, Valencia's parent company, they found E. coli in both a well source and its distribution system. They made the discovery during routine testing.

Walker said two samples tested positive for E. coli on Friday afternoon, so they flushed the distribution system with chlorine.

The company ran 12 more tests and identified one well where E. coli came from so they took it out of the distribution system, according to Walker, and customers were advised on Saturday that the water was safe.

About 5,800 customers were affected, according to Global Water spokesman Paul Walker.

Customers were advised to boil water for at least a minute, to kill the bacteria, before they drink it - or drink bottled water instead.

E. coli is a serious health risk that can cause a variety of gastrointestinal issues.

"I was immediately panicked because I have two kids that have health issues and I have one that has autism," said Valencia Water customer Rebecca Rovenstine. "He doesn't drink any bottled water. We keep a gallon of water in the fridge, from the tap, that's cold and it just made me panic. I didn't know what to do. But, they don't have any symptoms yet - which is good."

News of the water contamination forced several restaurants that are Valencia customers, to close their doors Friday. In fact, that's how some residents found out about the problem - from notices on the restaurants' doors.

"Very maddening, frustrating that they're calling some people and not others," said Valencia Water customer Daniel Rovenstine. "People could be getting sick."

At this time, the company said it doesn't know how E. coli entered its water system.

Stay with cbs5az.com and CBS  5 News for updates on this developing story.

Copyright 2013 CBS 5 (KPHO Broadcasting Corporation). All rights reserved.

  • Most Popular StoriesMost Popular StoriesMore>>

  • 2 dead, one hurt after incident in Kensington Park in KCK

    2 dead, one hurt after incident in Kensington Park in KCK

    Wednesday, September 20 2017 10:05 PM EDT2017-09-21 02:05:16 GMT
    (KCTV5)(KCTV5)

    Two people were found dead in the parking lot of Kensington Park in KCK. 

    More >

    Two people were found dead in the parking lot of Kensington Park in KCK. 

    More >
  • Man shot, hospitalized when sale goes bad in Shawnee

    Man shot, hospitalized when sale goes bad in Shawnee

    Thursday, September 21 2017 6:50 AM EDT2017-09-21 10:50:23 GMT
    It happened about 12:30 a.m. at the Arbor Square Apartments, located at 7613 Flint Street. (KCTV5)It happened about 12:30 a.m. at the Arbor Square Apartments, located at 7613 Flint Street. (KCTV5)

    A man was rushed to the hospital after attempting to sell an item went wrong early Thursday morning. It happened before 2:55 a.m. at the Arbor Square Apartments, located at 7613 Flint Street.

    More >

    A man was rushed to the hospital after attempting to sell an item went wrong early Thursday morning. It happened before 2:55 a.m. at the Arbor Square Apartments, located at 7613 Flint Street.

    More >
  • Young girl hospitalized by 105 mph foul at Yankee Stadium

    Young girl hospitalized by 105 mph foul at Yankee Stadium

    Thursday, September 21 2017 10:11 AM EDT2017-09-21 14:11:32 GMT

    A young girl at Yankee Stadium was injured by a foul ball off the bat of Todd Frazier during a game against Minnesota, leading some New York players to call for protective netting to be extended.

    More >

    A young girl at Yankee Stadium was injured by a foul ball off the bat of Todd Frazier during a game against Minnesota, leading some New York players to call for protective netting to be extended.

    More >
Powered by Frankly
KCTV 5 News

Online Public File:
KCTV  KSMO

Powered by WorldNow CNN
All content © 2017, KCTV; Kansas City, MO. (A Meredith Corporation Station) . All Rights Reserved.
For more information on this site, please read our Privacy Policy, and Terms of Service, and Ad Choices.