Authorities: Device a credible threat, but not explosive - KCTV5 News


Authorities: Device a credible threat, but not explosive

Posted: Updated:

Authorities say they cleared the scene of a possible explosive device about 11:30 p.m. Friday.

Sgt. Ronda Montgomery of the Jackson County Sheriff's Office said they, with the help of the military, confirmed the device was a credible threat, but not an explosive. She wouldn't elaborate more on why they thought this.

Originally, authorities feared that it was an explosive device that was left on board a bus that serves disabled residents in Independence.

The device was found about 11 a.m. Friday, on a bus at the First Transit bus depot, which is in unincorporated Jackson County just east of Interstate 435.

A bus driver making his checks, before taking the bus out, found the suspicious object. The small bus hadn't been used since the night before.

The device was removed from the bus at some point and taken to an area where no one could be hurt if it blew up. The Independence Police Department's bomb squad had worked to detonate the device. The Lee's Summit Police Department bomb squad came to the scene about 6:30 p.m. Friday.

The transit center is at Truman Road and Marsh Avenue. First Transit serves those who have been paralyzed, are confined to a wheelchair or face other significant handicaps. Workers were evacuated from the area.

"We did feel it was a danger," Montgomery said. "The package has been isolated from the area so no one is in danger at this point, and we are taking all precautions."

Montgomery said officials dismantled the device at the scene and took it away for more testing.

"If there's any evidence involved in this, we want to be able to collect anything that we can get off of it. So we need to go through a methodical process," she said.

At one point they believed they had a credible lead on who was involved however, once they further looked into the lead, they determined it wasn't credible. The investigation is ongoing.

The federal courthouse in downtown Kansas City was placed on alert after a police dog indicated there was something suspicious inside a newspaper stand outside the courthouse. The scene was cleared at 12:38 p.m. Friday.

Copyright 2013 KCTV (Meredith Corp.) All rights reserved.

Powered by Frankly
KCTV 5 News

Online Public File:

Powered by WorldNow CNN
All content © 2018, KCTV; Kansas City, MO. (A Meredith Corporation Station) . All Rights Reserved.
For more information on this site, please read our Privacy Policy, and Terms of Service, and Ad Choices.