It's been four days since a fire at a downtown high-rise apartment forced residents out of their homes. Still many still can't go home and they say the landlord is no help.
The Professional Building Lofts at 1103 Grand Blvd. is currently vacant after Friday's fire, and has no power. Some residents said it's like pulling teeth to get information from the building management and it could be at least a week until they can move back in.
"They didn't directly contact us. It's been us contacting them to find out what's going on and that hasn't been easy," said one resident who didn't want to be identified.
The fire at the apartment was electrical, causing a power outage and tenants are not allowed to stay there until it gets turned back on.
The man lives on one of the higher floors and was home when the fire started. He said getting information in the aftermath hasn't been easy.
"Not knowing anything has made it so much worse and if I'd known Saturday I would be out of my place for a week and a half I could have made plans based on that, but I didn't know anything," he said.
John Rogers lives on the 14th floor, but he is now staying with his parents. He agrees with his neighbor.
"They could have done better," Rogers said. "I didn't find out until I got here at 2 in the morning. There wasn't any message on my phone, no text messages, not even from my roommate, until later that something had happened to the apartments."
But some tenants, like Kristen Hemker, said the complex has handled things well.
"They've been great. They put me up in a hotel since I have a cat and I don't have to go up and down to check on her. It's been good so far," she said.
The tenants aren't the only ones inconvenienced. At least two businesses next door had to shut down for lack of power.
Neighbors said the fire was only part of the problem.
"That's made things a lot worse. The lack of communication, I think," said the man who didn't want to be identified.
The man said he is paying out-of-pocket for a hotel.
KCTV5 left several messages for the Alexander Company, the management group for the building. No one has returned the calls or emails.
Copyright 2013 KCTV (Meredith Corp.) All rights reserved.
Some apartment residents frustrated with landlord after fireMore>>
Friday, September 13 2013 6:38 PM EDT2013-09-13 22:38:23 GMT
At least two residents of a Kansas City apartment were treated after a blaze broke out, but everyone is expected to be OK.The two residents were brought out on stretchers after the fire broke out at 1224More >
The American Red Cross has opened a shelter for victims of a fire at a high-rise building in downtown Kansas City. More >
Tuesday, July 22 2014 7:14 PM EDT2014-07-22 23:14:19 GMT
It's not often that a spreadsheet goes viral on the Internet, but that's exactly what happened after one man starting keeping data on his... relations... with his wife. The spreadsheet was posted on RedditMore >
It's not often that a spreadsheet goes viral on the Internet, but that's exactly what happened after one man starting keeping data on his... relations... with his wife.More >
Two adventurous kayakers in Argentina experienced the thrill of a lifetime following an encounter with a pod of massive whales. The video was taken somewhere off the coast of Puerto Madryn, Argentina.More >
Two adventurous kayakers in Argentina experienced the thrill of a lifetime following an encounter with a pod of massive whales.More >