Kidnap suspect dead after standoff with police - KCTV5 News


Kidnap suspect dead after standoff with police

Posted: Updated:
Israel Celis, Sr. (Source: Arizona Department of Corrections) Israel Celis, Sr. (Source: Arizona Department of Corrections)

A man suspected of kidnapping his wife, two children and a stepchild and holding them hostage shot and killed himself, ending a long standoff with police Tuesday morning.

Phoenix police Sgt. Steve Martos said Israel Celis Sr. was found inside a house in Glendale, dead of a self-inflicted gunshot wound.

SWAT officers had rammed the house where an armed Celis Sr. was holding a man, a woman and an 8-year-child inside, according to a Phoenix Police Department spokesman.

Martos said Celis Sr. had released two children, including his 3-year-old son, who was the subject of an Amber Alert Monday night.

An armored truck rammed the front of the house, appearing on news helicopter footage to drive almost all the way into the front of the house.

The suspect fired multiple rounds at officers, who had retreated into another room in the home with a 9-year-old boy and 20-year-old woman.

Officers said they continued negotiations for about two hours when they heard the woman screaming and a gunshot. Officers found Celis Sr. dead with a self-inflicted gunshot wound.

Martos said Celis Sr. had released 4-year-old Israel Celis Jr. and a 13-year-old child just before 7 a.m.

Celis Sr. barricaded himself, the woman and children in the house near 91st and Maryland avenues after a series of events that began Monday afternoon. In all, there were six adults and three children in the house at one time, including the suspect.

Two women were taken out of the home through a window, a man and a woman were let go, followed by the two children, Martos said.

An injured man was seen being treated after the SWAT assault.

As a result, Tolleson police issued an Amber Alert for the 3-year-old on Monday night, but canceled it Tuesday morning.

Tolleson police said Celis Sr., broke into the boy's mother's home about 4:30 p.m., took her to a Tolleson hotel, sexually assaulted her at gunpoint, duct-taped her and then left with the children.

Officers initially thought he might have headed to Mexico and he was considered armed dangerous.

Police arrested Christian Celis, 20, as he tried to walked into the home while officers were in negotiations. He faces charges of endangerment and obstructing a government operation.

Copyright 2013 CBS 5 (KPHO Broadcasting Corporation). All rights reserved.

Police, Amber Alert suspect in Glendale standoff
View Larger Map
Powered by Frankly
KCTV 5 News

Online Public File:

Powered by WorldNow CNN
All content © 2018, KCTV; Kansas City, MO. (A Meredith Corporation Station) . All Rights Reserved.
For more information on this site, please read our Privacy Policy, and Terms of Service, and Ad Choices.