City leaders talk about dangers of underage drinking at summer concerts
By WFSB Staff
HARTFORD, CT (WFSB) -
There will be zero tolerance for underage drinking at concerts in Hartford this summer, according to city and police officials.
State and city leaders said they were worried about binge drinking by teenagers as the summer concert season gets ready to start.
Hartford Mayor Pedro Segarra joined with police and state officials to remind parents they need to take a stronger role in keeping their children safe.
Police told Eyewitness News they are increasing their presence at these events.
"Our goal is to create a safe environment for all concert goers while deterring the extensive underage drinking that occurs in and around the concert venue," said Hartford police Chief James C. Rovella.
Doctors said the problem is getting worse.
"Our fear is that one or more of these 14, 15, 16, 17-year-olds will be found dead behind a parked car or in the bushes," said Dr. Steven Wolf of Saint Francis Hospital. "We've come very close, but fortunately not that far yet."
Segarra said the city will do its part to keep teens safe, but they can only go so far.
"Parents must be involved in order to truly create a shift in behavior," Segarra. said. "It's important to note that the majority of the teenagers who are drinking at concerts are not Hartford residents, but it's a problem in our city and we have a responsibility to address it."
Copyright 2013 WFSB (Meredith Corporation). All rights reserved.
Tuesday, September 2 2014 5:32 PM EDT2014-09-02 21:32:59 GMT
Authorities are investigating after three people were killed and two others were critically injured in shootings in a south Kansas City neighborhood.More >
Authorities are investigating after three people were killed and two others were critically injured in shootings in a south Kansas City neighborhood. Police are seeking the public's help in finding the gunman. More >
Tuesday, September 2 2014 5:12 PM EDT2014-09-02 21:12:05 GMT
The World Food Program says it provided food to a record 4.1 million people inside Syria last month.More >
Islamic State extremists released a video Tuesday purportedly showing the beheading of a second American journalist, Steven Sotloff, and warning President Barack Obama that as long as U.S. airstrikes against the militant...More >
Tuesday, September 2 2014 4:42 PM EDT2014-09-02 20:42:09 GMT
Canadian police say pop star Justin Bieber has been charged with dangerous driving and assault after a collision between a minivan and an ATV led to a physical altercation in southwestern Ontario.More >
Canadian pop star Justin Bieber faces new charges after he was arrested for dangerous driving and assault following a collision between a minivan and an ATV that led to a physical altercation involving a photographer, his...More >