Woman allegedly took 3-year-old found walking alone - KCTV5 News

Woman allegedly took 3-year-old found walking alone

Posted: Updated:
Ariella E. Scrivner Ariella E. Scrivner

A woman is in jail, charged with trying to kidnap a little boy who wandered away from home and walked up a street.

But there were several people in the community who jumped into action to stop the crime.

Mauricio Arredondo, 3, is a very lucky little boy. Tuesday, he had been at a birthday party with his mom and sibling at his aunt's house, who lives right next door at Eighth Street and Belmont Avenue. When the family got home, Mauricio's mother told police she let him go back next door alone. Mauricio didn't make it next door and was instead spotted by witnesses wandering down the middle of the street without any shoes.

That's when police said Ariella E. Scrivner, 34, saw the boy walking alone and snatched him.

One neighbor actually has surveillance video from his house that shows the moment when the boy was taken.

Elva Arredondo said she and her sister were worried sick when they learned a man in the area saw the kidnapping and chased the woman.

"We are too scared when the guy said 'A white lady took the kid and the lady said it's her son.' And he said 'No, the kid is Mexican' and he followed her," Arredondo, the boy's aunt, said.

Court documents said the man chased Scrivner for several blocks, demanding she return the boy to his real family.

"The man that followed her down the road said, 'Miss, you can't take that baby, can't take baby' and asked us to call police," nearby resident Teresa Swigert said.

Swigert listened to the man's plea and called 911, but Scrivner took off running with the boy toward Independence Avenue and wound up at a grocery store at Independence and Winner Road.

The security guard at the store said he recognized he needed to step in to rescue the boy and handcuffed Scrivner.

"She said they (couple of guys) were chasing her, that it was her son she hadn't seen for six months," TITAN security guard Michael Winter said.

That same day, officers arrested Scrivner, who refused to leave her cell and speak to detectives the following day.

Mauricio was returned to his mother who, according to court documents, didn't know her boy was missing for about 30 to 40 minutes. It was a happy ending because several people had the courage to do the right thing and step in.

Scrivner is being held in Jackson County jail on a $150,000 bond.

Copyright 2013 KCTV (Meredith Corp.) All rights reserved.

Powered by Frankly
KCTV 5 News

Online Public File:

Powered by WorldNow CNN
All content © 2018, KCTV; Kansas City, MO. (A Meredith Corporation Station) . All Rights Reserved.
For more information on this site, please read our Privacy Policy, and Terms of Service, and Ad Choices.