One Connecticut gun maker said it would move out of the state if lawmakers expanded the ban on assault weapons, but now that same company is taking a look at modifying the AR-15.
Before some of the toughest gun laws in the country were passed, officials with the Stag Arms in New Britain said further modifications to the AR-15 would make it impossible to sell in Connecticut.
Eyewitness News has learned that the company is working on making a modified assault weapon to fit the ban.
"We are carefully looking at the new law and there are some things we interpret to be legal," said Stag Arms owner Mark Malkowski. "We have gotten a lot of feedback from our customers and they have given us ideas for changes."
Malkowski said the company is putting together a prototype, which they plan to show the weapons unit at the state police on Friday.
Officials with Stag Arms sells AR-15s, the only product it produces, all over the United States and to other countries, but less than 5 percent of its sales are made in Connecticut.
Gov. Dannel P. Malloy supported the ban, but did met with the gun manufacturers because he does not want them to leave, especially since the industry creates hundreds of jobs.
"It says gun companies will do anything to sell guns," Malloy said when recently asked about the topic. "I can't prejudge something that I haven't seen or analyze. People make things to sell them."
As for leaving Connecticut, officials with Stag Arms said it is still an option. Last week, Malkowski said he met with the governor of Texas and next week, the governor of Kansas.
Copyright 2013 WFSB (Meredith Corporation). All rights reserved.
Connecticut gunmaker looking to modify banned rifleMore>>
Tuesday, September 2 2014 5:15 PM EDT2014-09-02 21:15:15 GMT
Authorities are investigating after three people were killed and two others were critically injured in shootings in a south Kansas City neighborhood.More >
Authorities are investigating after three people were killed and two others were critically injured in shootings in a south Kansas City neighborhood. Police are seeking the public's help in finding the gunman. More >
Tuesday, September 2 2014 5:12 PM EDT2014-09-02 21:12:05 GMT
The World Food Program says it provided food to a record 4.1 million people inside Syria last month.More >
Islamic State extremists released a video Tuesday purportedly showing the beheading of a second American journalist, Steven Sotloff, and warning President Barack Obama that as long as U.S. airstrikes against the militant...More >
Tuesday, September 2 2014 4:42 PM EDT2014-09-02 20:42:09 GMT
Canadian police say pop star Justin Bieber has been charged with dangerous driving and assault after a collision between a minivan and an ATV led to a physical altercation in southwestern Ontario.More >
Canadian pop star Justin Bieber faces new charges after he was arrested for dangerous driving and assault following a collision between a minivan and an ATV that led to a physical altercation involving a photographer, his...More >