After back-to-back explosions rocked the finish line at the Boston Marathon Monday afternoon, security has not only been beefed up in Boston, but here in Connecticut as well.
Three people, including an 8-year-old boy, were killed and more than 100 people were injured when two bombs exploded seconds apart as triumphant runners crossed the finish line of the Boston Marathon.
The moment of jubilation quickly turned to fear and panic once people realized what had just occurred.
Massachusetts Gov. Deval Patrick said the city of Boston will be open for business Tuesday, but the day will be anything but normal.
"People should expect, those riding the T, random checks of backpacks and parcels," he said. "We just ask everybody to be patient with that inconvenience for the time being. It is for the public's safety."
Copley Square will remain off-limits, as a crime scene as been set up for about 15 blocks from the scene of the explosions.
In addition, exit 22 off the Mass Pike, which leads to Copley Square, will remain closed.
The beefed-up security isn't just in Boston, either.
People taking the train from Connecticut into New York City can expect to see an increased police presence. The Metropolitan Transportation Authority said it's stepping up patrols and will conduct bag checks. They're also asking their employees to be extra vigilant.
Amtrak officials said that its police force was also stepping up patrols and would conduct increased sweeps of stations and track right-of-ways following the bombings. Railroad officials said ADP was holding over officers to ensure there would be adequate staffing levels, and was working with local and national law enforcement to share and collect any information in response to what took place Monday.
The NYPD is also on alert and will be paying closer attention to places like Grand Central Terminal and the city's subway system.
For those traveling by air, Bradley International Airport officials said everything is continuing to run as normal.
Copyright 2013 WFSB (Meredith Corporation). All rights reserved.
Tuesday, September 2 2014 6:45 PM EDT2014-09-02 22:45:12 GMT
The World Food Program says it provided food to a record 4.1 million people inside Syria last month.More >
Islamic State extremists released a video Tuesday purportedly showing the beheading of a second American journalist, Steven Sotloff, and warning President Barack Obama that as long as U.S. airstrikes against the militant...More >
Tuesday, September 2 2014 4:42 PM EDT2014-09-02 20:42:09 GMT
Canadian police say pop star Justin Bieber has been charged with dangerous driving and assault after a collision between a minivan and an ATV led to a physical altercation in southwestern Ontario.More >
Canadian pop star Justin Bieber faces new charges after he was arrested for dangerous driving and assault following a collision between a minivan and an ATV that led to a physical altercation involving a photographer, his...More >