FAIRWAY, KS (KCTV) -
Natural Dyes for Egg Decorating
Courtesy of Julie Flanagan
- Eggs (room temperature)
- Vinegar (white)
- Pantyhose, Twist ties, Scissors
- Slotted Spoon
- (Optional) baking soda
Foods for dyes into 1 Quart of Water:
- 2 cups Blueberries -> deep blue
- 2 T Turmeric -> vivid gold
- 2 cups Carrots -> Yellowish green
- 2 cups Red Cabbage -> blue or teal
- ½ cup Onion Skins (in water) ->rust
- ½ cup Rose petals
- 2 T Poinsettia leaves
- 2 cups Beets, canned -> purplish brown
- ½ cup Onion Skins (on egg) -> marbleized gold
- 2 cups Raspberries -> light fuchsia
- 2 cups Blackberries -> plum
- 2 T Paprika -> Lt. Orange
- Stencil leaves and Flowers:
- Any small soft plant leaf
- Chipotle, Dill
- Mums, Aster
- Onion skins
- 1. Boil vegetables in water for around 30 minutes. Cool to just warmer than the eggs.
- 2. Add vinegar and room temperature eggs.
- 3. Bring to boil then quickly reduce to simmer for 20 – 30 minutes.
- (optional) Let soak 2 hours for deeper color
- 5. Scoop and let dry at least 2 hours
- Gently unwrap, and (optional) rub with oil, wipe off.