Mayor's security talks about interruption incident - KCTV5 News

Mayor's security talks about interruption incident

Posted: Updated:

One day after interrupting Kansas City, MO, Mayor Sly James and being arrested, a man is facing criminal charges and also said he's going to run for mayor. Now, one of the men on the mayor's security details who tackled the protestor speaks out.

Marlon Buie, a security guard assigned to the mayor, is a 25-year veteran of the police force who has guarded four mayors in Kansas City.

He said he knows a lot of people are questioning how the protestor managed to get past him and the other security to get so close to the mayor like he did, so he wanted to address the tough questions.

Wednesday afternoon when 31-year-old Derron Black was released from jail, he didn't speak to the media. He was released on bond after being charged with two misdemeanors for obstruction of government operations and assault on a law enforcement officer. The officer involved was Buie.

"It's more of a situation where I don't think the public is aware of everything that occurred," Buie said.

Buie was back on the job the day after the incident as part of the security team assigned to James at an event for 42, the new Jackie Robinson film, at the Negro Leagues Baseball Museum.

"What I want people to understand is that at no point was that guy simply allowed to walk up on stage," Buie said. "This was situation where there was actually more than one individual involved."

He said there were three others involved and his partner was tracking down one of them in the building when Black got on stage.

"There was a second when I thought, ‘this guy, who is this guy?' You know, just out of curiosity because he moved so slowly until he grabbed the flag. Once he grabbed the flag, that's when I knew something needed to be done and done quick, so I was in all-out sprint to get there," Buie said.

The mayor has praised Buie and his other security officer, Casey Jones, for their quick action to tackle Black. But Buie said his job is to make sure this doesn't happen again.

"Anytime something like this happens you look at it and you re-examine what your needs are," he said.

James was on CNN Wednesday morning and said he has no plans to beef up security.

"You know, at some point in time you really have to understand - at least I feel that I have to understand - that people are going to have to be around me, and they're going to be around me all the time. I don't want to set up a situation where the security is such that people don't feel that I'm approachable. I'm not the president; I'm the mayor of a city. I'm supposed to be out with people and talking to them."

Buie said he understands the mayor wants to be accessible to the public, but security will have to be beefed up for certain events.

"The reality is, if he had gotten more aggressive, things could have gotten really bad. We are lucky nothing did happen and I'm very happy nothing did," Buie said. "I want everyone to know it's a new day and we're not going to simply allow, I hate to say it, the space as greatly as it was in the past."

This isn't the first time Buie's had to get physical with someone while on the job. When then-mayor Kay Barnes was giving an address at an area church, a protestor tried to charge the stage where she was speaking but Buie was able to tackle the man before he reached the stage, according to a former aide to Barnes.

There was also another unusual twist in the case Wednesday. While Black didn't have anything to say to the media when he was released from jail, his campaign manager said Thursday at 11 a.m. he plans to be outside of City Hall to announce that he's running for mayor in 2015.

Copyright 2013 KCTV (Meredith Corp.)  All rights reserved.

Powered by Frankly
KCTV 5 News

Online Public File:

Powered by WorldNow CNN
All content © 2018, KCTV; Kansas City, MO. (A Meredith Corporation Station) . All Rights Reserved.
For more information on this site, please read our Privacy Policy, and Terms of Service, and Ad Choices.