Teen rescues grandmother from burning home - KCTV5

Teen rescues grandmother from burning home

Posted: Updated:
LATHROP, MO (KCTV) -

A Missouri teen ran into a burning trailer to pull out a grandmother all before school Friday morning.

The Lathrop mobile home first caught fire Friday morning, briefly trapping two people inside, and flames were still burning Friday night.

It could have been a lot worse if it wasn't for the actions of a teenager.

The empty open space that was 4554 Southeast Converse Road in Lathrop, MO, is now a mix of flames and ashes after a fast-moving fire believed to have been caused by a cigarette destroyed everything in its path.

Mary Danner, 17, said she was smoking and thought she'd put out the ashes, but she nearly caught fire herself after she got too close to the flames.

"I moved my backpack and the flames flared up in my face and, when I went to shield my face, I burned my thumb," she said.

Danner then ran out of the house just as her boyfriend, Wesley Waldon, and his father showed up to take her to school. While she was out of harm's way, her grandmother was not and that's when Waldon did the unthinkable and ran inside.

"She was in the living room on the opposite side from where the fire started," he said. "In a span of about three minutes, it had completely engulfed the entire couch and was running up the wall and towards the ceiling."

As Waldon carried the woman to safety, his father tried to turn on a hose but couldn't because the pipe connected to it was frozen. His father then called 911 while working to keep other property from burning.

"We got her grandmother's car moved away from the house. It was basically a waiting game – waiting for the fire department to show up," Mike Waldon said.

Mike Waldon said he's proud of his son and Danner said he's her hero. But Wesley Waldon shrugged off the praise and said he's just thankful no one was seriously hurt.

"I'm just glad I got here when I did because, if I had been later, I'm not really sure what wouldn't happened and I don't want to imagine what would've happened," he said.

Danner moved back in with her parents and her grandmother is staying with relatives not too far from her mobile home.

An official cause of the fire hasn't been released.

A school counselor took Danner shopping for clothes since she lost most of her belonging in the fire.

Copyright 2013 KCTV (Meredith Corp.)  All rights reserved.

Powered by WorldNow
KCTV 5 News

Online Public File:
KCTV  KSMO

Powered by WorldNow CNN
All content © 2014, KCTV; Kansas City, MO. (A Meredith Corporation Station) and WorldNow. All Rights Reserved.
For more information on this site, please read our Privacy Policy and Terms of Service.