A woman apparently died Wednesday after asphyxiating sewer gases which came from a sink that had been disassembled, authorities said Friday.
Bernice A. Weaver, 44, was unconscious when she was discovered lying on the kitchen floor in front of the sink in a Northland home. The plumbing underneath the sink had been disassembled.
Weaver was rushed to the North Kansas City Hospital where she was pronounced dead.
Officers arrived to the home at 334 N. Belmont Blvd. at 6:30 p.m. Wednesday, according to a police report.
The home was filled with what appeared to be the strong odor of sewer gas, according to the report.
The home was rented by a woman who appeared to have a limited mental capacity, according to the police report. The renter reportedly had allowed Weaver, who was homeless, to stay at the residence.
The landlord told police that she would have a plumber make any needed repairs.
The Kansas City Star reported that a plumber told the homeowner that the removal of the trap under the kitchen sink left an open sewer line into the house. The plumber also detected sewer gas coming from a basement floor drain.
Because Weaver was taken to the hospital where she died, the Jackson County Medical Examiner's Office did not send a coroner to the scene as per office protocol. The examiner's office later went to the scene once it was determined it was safe by the fire department. Photographs were taken at the scene, said Dan Ferguson, a spokesman for the county ME office.
"The case of Bernice Weaver is being handled by our ME's office," he said. "A complete autopsy is being performed."
The autopsy itself was performed Friday. Toxicology results could take up to two months.
Peggy Sutton said she has been renting the home since 1995. She said she allowed her homeless friend to live with her starting in January.
Sutton said the home has long had plumbing issues.
"The water wouldn't drain and the water was almost up to the top in both sinks," she said. "So we knew there was a problem."
She said she had thought the pipes needed to be cleaned. The home's owner, Shirley Markle, told the newspaper that her tenant had not reported any recent plumbing or sink issues.
Markle told the newspaper that a plumber had come out, but Sutton insisted that a plumber had not been out to make any repairs since her friend died.
After returning from a trip to the store, Sutton said she found her friend's body. She said she tried to perform CPR but those efforts were unsuccessful.
She speculates that Weaver used strong drain cleaner without opening the windows, and that knocked her out. She said she found a bottle of Liquid Gas next to her friend's body, which also has a rotten gas smell like that authorities smelled when they arrived.
"She opened up the liquid fire," Sutton said. "That stuff smells like rotten eggs ... you must ventilate. She didn't ventilate."
The victim's daughter said her mother had various medical issues including emphysema, asthma and Bell's palsy. Sutton said Weaver previously had suffered two strokes.
Weaver's daughter, Yvonne Lahmann, said her mother liked to make repairs.
"She's a fixer upper. I joke with her and call her Bob the Builder because she tries to fix everything," she recalled.
She said she does not see how a simple plumbing fix could have taken her mother's life.
"They're thinking it's from sewer gas from this house," she said.
Copyright 2013 KCTV (Meredith Corp.) All rights reserved.
Tuesday, June 18 2013 8:08 PM EDT2013-06-19 00:08:57 GMT
Independence police say they want to question two men about the theft of the iconic statue outside the National Trails Museum.Police released photos of the two men dragging a large tub. The men seem toMore >
Independence police say they want to question two men about the theft of the iconic statue outside the National Trails Museum.More >
Tuesday, June 18 2013 7:06 PM EDT2013-06-18 23:06:25 GMT
Gary Simpson admitted Tuesday that he so badly abused an infant last year that her skull was fractured.Simpson was a friend and live-in nanny to a Johnson County family. He repeatedly abused the then 2/12-month-oldMore >
Gary Simpson admitted Tuesday that he so badly abused an infant last year that her skull was fractured.More >
Wednesday, June 19 2013 9:55 AM EDT2013-06-19 13:55:47 GMT
Former Kansas City Royals great Willie Wilson had to give up his World Series ring when he declared bankruptcy. Now his family, friends and fans are working to get it back. They're using Twitter andMore >
Former Kansas City Royals great Willie Wilson had to give up his World Series ring when he declared bankruptcy. Now his family, friends and fans are working to get it back.More >
Wednesday, June 19 2013 12:42 PM EDT2013-06-19 16:42:14 GMT
Authorities are looking for a missing elderly couple.Garnett Police Chief Kevin Pekarek said Vernon and Goldie Hunt left their home about 6:30 a.m. Monday for Dwight, IL. Vernon is 92 years old and GoldieMore >
Authorities say a missing elderly Kansas couple has been found safe in Michigan.More >
Tuesday, June 18 2013 5:42 PM EDT2013-06-18 21:42:41 GMT
A man accused of raping a woman last month and then kidnapping her over the weekend is on the run in the Lake of the Ozarks area, authorities said Monday night.More >
Law enforcement agencies in central Missouri are searching for a man wanted in connection with the kidnapping of a woman over the weekend. Brian J. Adkison is also accused of raping that same woman last month. More >
Wednesday, June 19 2013 9:11 AM EDT2013-06-19 13:11:38 GMT
Police are investigating a shooting Wednesday morning.Officers responded to the non life-threatening shooting shortly after 5 a.m. at a home located near East 24th Avenue and Ozark Street. The neighborhoodMore >
Police are investigating a shooting Wednesday morning.More >
Wednesday, June 19 2013 5:45 AM EDT2013-06-19 09:45:09 GMT
A guerrilla gardener is on the loose in the Westport area, trying to beautify blighted areas once sat barren. Guerrilla gardeners grow plants, herbs and vegetables on public pieces of land that are inMore >
A blighted public area is now being called The Magic Garden after a woman decided to transform a neglected spot near the Westport post office.More >