Spicy Thai Peanut Sauce
· 2 cloves garlic
· 1 knob ginger
· ½ bunch cilantro
· ¾ cup sweet chili sauce
· ½ cup peanut butter
· ¼ cup rice wine vinegar
· ¼ cup sesame oil
· 1tsp salt
· warm water as needed to thin
Place all ingredients in a blender or food processor and mix smooth. Add a little warm water if it's too thick. It should have a slightly thick consistency.
· 1 pk (5-6oz) rice noodles
· 1 pk (12) spring roll wrappers
· 1 bunch scallions
· 1 carrot
· 1 red bell pepper
· 1 (26-30 peeled and deveined shrimp
· 1 bunch mint
· 1 bunch basil
· 1 bunch cilantro
· 1 head lettuce leaves
1. Bring 3 quarts water to boil.
2. Place rice noodle in a bowl and pour boiling water over noodles and soak until noodles are soft and not mushy. Drain and set aside.
3. Peel and julienne 1 carrot
4. Cut and julienne 1 red bell pepper (yellow or orange can be used also)
5. Separate lettuce leaves, set aside. Coarsely chop basil, cilantro, mint and set aside.
6. Cut shrimp in half lengthwise and boil for 1-2 minutes until shrimp turn pink. Drain and rinse in cold water and set aside.
7. In a large shallow dish or pan, fill it with hot water. Dip a wrapper in water until it becomes soft about 30 sec-1 minute.
8. Place wrapper on work surface and place lettuce leaf on wrapper. Place a thin roll of noodles on lettuce. Then top with 1/12 carrots, pepper, mint, cilantro, basil mixture and 2 shrimp halves. Roll up sides then roll like a burrito, seam down cover with moist towel until ready to serve.
Copyright 2013 KCTV (Meredith Corp.) All rights reserved.
Shrimp Filled Spring Rolls with Spicy Peanut Sauce
courtesy The Culinary Center of Kansas City
Prep time 20 minutes/Cook time 5 minutes
Total time 25-30 minutes