Some parents are outraged that their children may have to forfeit upcoming wrestling matches simply because their opponents would be girls.
They say a policy by the Archdiocese of Kansas City, KS, could jeopardize their children's abilities to get college scholarships.
Officials with the archdiocese declined to comment.
The regional wrestling tournament will be held this weekend at Mill Valley High School in Johnson County. Wrestlers from across the area are slated to participate. The hope is to win and qualify for the state tournament and leverage this for college scholarships.
But these dreams are in jeopardy for some Catholic boy wrestlers. The archdiocese prohibits mixed gender wrestling, believing physical contact between boys and girls is contrary to the church's teachings.
But one mother, who asked not to be identified, said boys in the lower weight brackets are likely to face girls.
"And they're going to have to forfeit automatically, and I don't think that's fair," the mother said.
She suggested that the archdiocese allow boys to wrestle girls during regional and state tournaments.
Denny Hensley's son is slated to wrestle this weekend. He said he too would like to see a compromise.
"All the boys, all the girls worked so hard. Some of these boys have been wrestling since they were 4 and 5 years old," Hensley said.
The mother who didn't want to be identified asked the archdiocese to relent for the sake of the children.
"They just want to compete. That's all that it's about," she said. "It's just about competition in sports."
What do you think? Share your thoughts on KCTV5's Facebook page. Click here.
Copyright 2013 KCTV (Meredith Corp.) All rights reserved.
Tuesday, September 2 2014 5:32 PM EDT2014-09-02 21:32:59 GMT
Authorities are investigating after three people were killed and two others were critically injured in shootings in a south Kansas City neighborhood.More >
Authorities are investigating after three people were killed and two others were critically injured in shootings in a south Kansas City neighborhood. Police are seeking the public's help in finding the gunman. More >
Tuesday, September 2 2014 5:12 PM EDT2014-09-02 21:12:05 GMT
The World Food Program says it provided food to a record 4.1 million people inside Syria last month.More >
Islamic State extremists released a video Tuesday purportedly showing the beheading of a second American journalist, Steven Sotloff, and warning President Barack Obama that as long as U.S. airstrikes against the militant...More >
Tuesday, September 2 2014 4:42 PM EDT2014-09-02 20:42:09 GMT
Canadian police say pop star Justin Bieber has been charged with dangerous driving and assault after a collision between a minivan and an ATV led to a physical altercation in southwestern Ontario.More >
Canadian pop star Justin Bieber faces new charges after he was arrested for dangerous driving and assault following a collision between a minivan and an ATV that led to a physical altercation involving a photographer, his...More >