Vigil held for 3-month-old victim of brutal beating - KCTV5 News

Parents and family prepare to say goodbye to 3-month-old beating victim

Posted: Updated:
Nima Shaffe/KCTV Nima Shaffe/KCTV
Nima Shaffe/KCTV Nima Shaffe/KCTV
Nima Shaffe/KCTV Nima Shaffe/KCTV

A week after they held a candlelight vigil to remember a 3-month-old baby who was beaten to death, a little boy's family said goodbye.

The family and their friends gathered at Forest Grove Baptist Church in Kansas City, KS, Saturday morning for a visitation and service. About 100 people packed into the church.

Police have not confirmed many details officially about what happened to that infant, but people have been really active on social media over the past week, posting prayers for the family and asking who would hurt an innocent baby.

That was the question last Saturday evening as friends and family gathered.

Grieving parents Ashley Johnson and Sylvester McCoy are dealing with a loss they never saw coming.

"It hurts. I never thought that I would be burying my son this early," said Johnson.

"I didn't want to see him suffer like that," she said.

Police say someone beat Stephon Marco McCoy Monday on Jan. 14 in an apartment at the Briarwood Complex in Grandview. His family took him off life support three days later.

"He was with a friend of the family, who I thought I could trust ... somebody who was real close, somebody who was like a sister to me," Stephon's mother said.

Grandview police have not yet made an arrest, but they say they have handed the case over to the Jackson County Prosecutor's Office to decide on charges.

"I want to know why ... why did it have to happen to him," Johnson said.

Though just at the start of his life, Stephon's family says he already had a personality, a smile that brought so much joy.

"He played all the time. He laughed. He talked to you. He was a good baby," Sylvester McCoy said.

His innocence and his helplessness is now making the moment even harder to bear.

"He is only three months old, he didn't know right from wrong. All he knew is he was supposed to be protected. The person that was caring for him did not protect him. They failed him in all aspects," the infant's aunt, Gena Johnson, said.

The family now waits for justice for that person and honors a little boy taken too soon.

"Every time I close my eyes, I see him," Johnson said.

Police say they could not go into more detail, because the prosecutor is now handling the case.

A spokesman from the Jackson County Prosecutor's Office said he was not familiar with the case yet, and it could take a few days to process.

But family and friends speaking out online and in person are hoping for answers soon.

Copyright 2013 KCTV (Meredith Corp.)  All rights reserved.

Powered by Frankly
KCTV 5 News

Online Public File:

Powered by WorldNow CNN
All content © 2018, KCTV; Kansas City, MO. (A Meredith Corporation Station) . All Rights Reserved.
For more information on this site, please read our Privacy Policy, and Terms of Service, and Ad Choices.