Standoff in KCK puts Catholic school on lockdown - KCTV5 News

Standoff ends, Catholic school lockdown lifted

Posted: Updated:

A standoff that put Resurrection Catholic School on lockdown Friday afternoon ended almost five hours after it began.

Police had several streets near North 14th Street and Orville Avenue blocked off as they dealt with a man who said he was armed and dangerous and refused to come out of an apartment.

It all started about 10:30 a.m. when an alert neighbor noticed the man possibly trying to break into a house. When officers arrived, the man fled into a nearby apartment that sits above a garage at 14th and Orville.

"We asked him to come out, but he refused and said he was armed, so we are taking every precaution to bring this to a peaceful end," Sgt. Emmett Lockridge with the KCK Police Department said early on in the standoff.

The SWAT team was called in and surrounded the building and the nearby Catholic school was immediately placed on lockdown.

During the lockdown, parents were allowed to come and pick up their children through an area at the school that was determined to be safe.

"Definitely scary. We didn't know what was going on at first and, with her being right there at school, and with Sandy Hook just happening, it makes you a little nervous," said Sarah Quinn, who had come to pick up her sister.

"We've been in contact with the school principal and they are notifying parents. We've established a safe method for them to pick up and take the kids home," Lockridge said.

Just before 4 p.m., the suspect finally walked out and surrendered peacefully.  The suspect was placed into custody and taken to Wyandotte County Jail for questioning.

Copyright 2013 KCTV (Meredith Corp.) All rights reserved.

Powered by Frankly
KCTV 5 News

Online Public File:

Powered by WorldNow CNN
All content © 2018, KCTV; Kansas City, MO. (A Meredith Corporation Station) . All Rights Reserved.
For more information on this site, please read our Privacy Policy, and Terms of Service, and Ad Choices.