Area day care evacuated after carbon monoxide scare - KCTV5

Six children hospitalized for carbon monoxide exposure at day care

Posted: Updated:
Child walks to ambulance outside Kiddle Castle daycare Child walks to ambulance outside Kiddle Castle daycare
© Rob Rhodes/KCTV5 © Rob Rhodes/KCTV5
KANSAS CITY, KS (KCTV) -

Six children were rushed to Children's Mercy Hospital after they were exposed to carbon monoxide Friday afternoon.

The six are expected to be OK after firefighters found they had elevated levels of CO in their blood. They ranged in age from 1 to 9 years old.

KCK Assistant Fire Chief Craig Duke said the call came to authorities at 12:19 p.m. There were 21 children and four adults inside the day care at the time.

"We did find levels of carbon monoxide that were above normal," Duke said.

Sara Perry said her 5-year-old daughter had to be treated at Children's Mercy.

"She's very sleepy and not feeling well," Perry said as she returned to the day care to pick up her other children.

Authorities conducted tests at the Kiddie Castle Child Care Center.

"We shut off everything as soon as we got here. We shut off all the furnaces," Duke said. "We did find a contractor in one of the adjacent buildings who were working in there. And there was a generator running. We don't know if that is sufficient enough to cause the issue we had."

But investigators later determined it was and cited the contractor for code violations.

Kansas Gas Service was checking the systems along with KCK codes officials.

The children and staff who were evacuated because of the leak were taken to a nearby bank. Parents are coming to pick up their children.

The day care is at 6000 Leavenworth Rd. in KCK.

Perry said it is a wonderful facility.

"My kids have been going here for almost six years," she said. "I love it."

The center will reopen soon.

Copyright 2012 KCTV (Meredith Corp.)  All rights reserved.

Powered by WorldNow
KCTV 5 News

Online Public File:
KCTV  KSMO

Powered by WorldNow CNN
All content © 2014, KCTV; Kansas City, MO. (A Meredith Corporation Station) and WorldNow. All Rights Reserved.
For more information on this site, please read our Privacy Policy and Terms of Service.