Elderly man found dead after fire guts KC home - KCTV5

Elderly man found dead after fire guts KC home

Posted: Updated:
KANSAS CITY, MO (KCTV) -

An elderly man was found dead inside his home after fire broke out early Tuesday morning.

Firefighters were called shortly before 2 a.m. to the home in the 7100 block of East 100th Terrace.

When crews arrived, flames were shooting through the roof.  Inside they found an 80-year-old man dead in a hallway near his bedroom.  Firefighters said the man sustained some burns.

Authorities do not know at this time if the man's death was caused by smoke inhalation or other causes.  The man's identity has not been released yet.

The fire caused about $50,000 in damages to the home.

Firefighters say there were no working smoke detectors inside the home.

The American Red Cross wants to remind people that they offer free smoke alarms to those in need.

Homeowners can get smoke alarms installed or batteries replaced year-round by calling the Smoke Alarm Hotline at (816) 841-5242. Those who are not senior or disabled, may call (816) 841-5237 to schedule a time to pick up a smoke alarm.

Copyright 2012 KCTV (Meredith Corp.)  All rights reserved.

Powered by WorldNow
KCTV 5 News

Online Public File:
KCTV  KSMO

Powered by WorldNow CNN
All content © 2014, KCTV; Kansas City, MO. (A Meredith Corporation Station) and WorldNow. All Rights Reserved.
For more information on this site, please read our Privacy Policy and Terms of Service.